Sunday, March 13, 2011

My Boy Pup



My boy, Pup, came to visit me in a dream, early this morning, for the first time since his death. He was young and healthy, in his middle years. The door was ajar and he had escaped, as he so loved to do back then, being impossible to catch. Until he got old, he never came when called, only when he was ready.

In the dream, I was fretting, in the doorway, as he was down among some people and other dogs, and I always worried about dogfights. He was a prickly sort and I never totally trusted him not to attack another dog, though it only happened a few times in his fourteen years. But in the dream, I was worrying about him, afraid he'd be hurt, as I did once he got old and frail. I was calling down to them, "He's an old dog", which clearly, in the dream, he wasn't.

That was all. But it was nice to see him young and strong and healthy, his black coat shining, busy and vital once again. The open door, my friend tells me, means Pup is inviting me out of my hermitage, and back into the world again.

I woke up happy to have seen him again. My boy.

8 comments:

  1. Sherry, isn't it great to see an old friend again in dreams? I see my mother and my grandma, Blanche, all the time. To be reunited with Pup, even though your dream involved some worries about safety, etc., must have been wonderful. For me, the animal I dream most about is our departed black cat, Missy. She would sit on wherever you hurt - tummy, even your head!

    Pets don't live long enough, for my money, but they make such a difference in our lives. I'm always glad when a pet who is loved finds peace when it's time. And then, the dreams...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. Maybe it's your pup's way of ensuring that you'll get over the grief and move on, along with the reassurance that he'll always be with you. Our loved ones never truly leave us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you shared your dream. It was beautiful, dreams are so strange, it's not really what they are, but how they make us feel. Just like in the waking time, ....people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think he wants you to follow him out into the Spring sunshine...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post, Sherry. I am so glad that Pup visited you in a dream. May this be the first of many that lets you know he is with you always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when I see deceased loved ones in my dreams. I've never seen any of my pets though. Your dream was precious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Kerry's right, Sherry! Pup is calling you outside towards spring, towards renewal and fresh beginnings, as his journey has taken him down a new trail. Such a good boy, taking care of you still...:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. As if the Great Pup would ever forget you. Pffft! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.