Thursday, August 26, 2010

VOYAGER HEART

(Baby Leo and Graham )



Small puff-clouds
scoot across
the autumn sky
on the wings
of the morning.
I cross the road
to the rooster's
early cry.
From the sleepy forest
birds croak and caw,
the branches
stir and sigh.
The yard dogs
bark
the new day in.
Horses whicker
softly
over their apples and grain,
and the imperious marmalade cat
deigns a haughty nod
from his domain.
And I
am old enough
to be grateful for
such grace:
eyesight with which
to take this splendor in
the whole day long,
ears finely tuned
to hear
the planet's song,
legs that still carry me
though at a slower pace,
and that calm
voyager heart
that has
taken me
so far
while staying
in one place.

12 comments:

  1. I love how this flows and being thankful for what is now! The photo is precious! You remind us to be thankful for what we have!
    Love it~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry, this is a lovely evocation of contentment. I can't for the life of me think how you're going to condense it to 4 lines, and I'm off now to look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. best photo! horse and cat!
    (is that like moose and squirrel?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I
    am old enough
    to be grateful for
    such grace...

    How I love these words, Sherry. You have given me a glimpse into your world with such generosity of spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Sherry,
    What a delightful read, reflecting the joys brought to your life, by all that is around you.
    I have had a lovely Sunday here too and my words reflect that as well.
    All good wishes for a good week ahead.
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is so much beauty and wonder in our immediate surroundings that it's nice to see another taking pleasure in being where one is. Sometimes yearning for newness blinds us to what we already have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful Sherry. You certainly have your hands and life full. Your images are so cute and evoke much pleasure.

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, so beautiful Sherry! I loved this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sherry, I absolutely adore the gratitude expressed in this piece. As we age, we are blessed if we see the wonder and value and gifts. Clearly, you do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is lovely, Sherry. I like the 'marmalade' cat. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a beautiful scene you describe so well. I can see and hear the scene so well. Then gratefullness at the end that I share with you. I'm so glad I can see the grace, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. a lovely poem about being greatful for what you have. cute pic too

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.