Sunday, August 29, 2010

Our Lives

I have had a physically taxing five days with round-the-clock kids, cleaning, and a huge sorting and organizing project, in an effort to get a ton of PAPER under control and in some sort of order.

Am exhausted, and all too aware I am behind in responding to comments, to checking out the Poetry Pantry, to checking in with my group, to finishing my Project Genesis post for Wednesday and for a couple of other projects on the go................

However, I am at the end of my reserves for today. Going through my papers, though, I came across this poem I clipped and forgot about. It is a good read so I decided to post it for you to enjoy.

Riveted
by Robyn Sarah
from A Day's Grace
copyright The Porcupine's Quill

It is possible that things will not get better
than they are now, or have been known to be.
It is possible that we are past the middle now.
It is possible that we have crossed the great water
without knowing it, and stand now on the other side.
Yes: I think we have crossed it now. Now
we are being given tickets, and they are not
tickets to the show we had been thinking of,
but to a different show, clearly inferior.

Check again: it is our own name on the envelope.
The tickets are to that other show.

It is possible that we will walk out of the darkened hall
without waiting for the last act: people do.
Some people do. But it is probable
that we will stay seated in our narrow seats
all through the tedious denouement
to the unsurprising end - riveted, as it were;
spellbound by our own imperfect lives
because they are lives,
and because they are ours.

5 comments:

  1. Grateful that you posted that poem!

    And that pictures absolutely lovely too, been waiting for a picture like that for ages, myself, with that splash of colors reflected in still waters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a good poem. The shot is not what I would wish, but is what this town provides in the way os sunsets:) One makes do, hee hee! Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this poem immensely, Sherry. I had not read this poet before, but I can definitely identify with thinking I got tickets to the wrong show..LOL.

    Our lives are indeed imperfect..but, for the most part, they are good ones...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite lines:

    Check again: it our own name on the envelope

    The tickets are to that other show

    We've always got to check where we are going! Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is good, isnt it? I wish I had thought of it! What a cool perspective..........I'm the bumbling passenger who got on the wrong bus, going in the wrong direction, and had to re-route! Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.