Thursday, August 12, 2010

These eyes.......


[written in reponse to Poets United's Thursday Think Tank Prompt : The Eyes]

My eyes
are on my mind today.
Ever since the doctor said
the gel in my eyeballs
is collapsing in on itself,
I have noticed my vision
getting blurry,
deteriorating.

I have been reading
faster and faster,
trying to get all the books read
that I want to read,
typing faster and faster,
trying to get all the poems
and stories in one place
to say what I did
when I was here.

He'll see me at 2:30
next Tuesday
and $120 later
we'll know
what's up.

These eyes
have seen a lot.
They have gotten me
through
hard times
by always looking up,
watching the sky,
reminding me
there is a bigger picture
than the one in front of me.

These eyes
have looked on
mountains and meadows
and waves rushing swiftly
in to shore.
They have marveled at
sunrises and sunsets
and storm clouds
and forests
and midnight moons.

They have smiled at dogs
and babies
and old people,
and have feasted
on the whole rich panorama
of life.

These eyes.....
may I keep seeing
through
these eyes...........

14 comments:

  1. Sherry, I pray that you will be able to keep seeing through your eyes. I wrote a poem in response to this topic too, and I feel the same way. Eyesight is so important. I know I would rather lose hearing than sight. It is through sight that so much of memory is preserved. Well written poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written piece, Sherry! Great response to the prompt!

    -Weasel

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know we'll be sending healing vibes your way, Sherry! Great poem in spite of the grim subject...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherry, I was hooked from the start. This is a powerful piece because it matters to you right now. Strong writing. Thank you for sharing.
    ~Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending prayers for healing....and hope that you will get out many more beautiful poems that speak your story.

    *hugs*

    alaurilee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sherry, I like your poem and all the things you've seen and shared with us, you said it yourself - keep looking up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you kind readers, and I WILL keep looking up:) (While I'm grinning at the sky, I miss so much turmoil down below, hee hee)I dashed this off as I was starting supper, in response to Poets United's Thursday Think Tank prompt. I plan to expand on it and maybe turn it into a more serious effort once I get some time.............thank you all for visiting, and commenting. I so appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sherry,

    Powerful piece of writing.

    Hope all goes well with you. Fear of losing something so precious is my constant companion too.

    Best Wishes.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope all goes well for you too. There is SO much to see in the panorama of life. You have seen much, and I wish you many more sunrises and sunsets to view!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Sherry,

    Touching and tender post. Do take care. Look out to the horizon and green glades.

    The inner eye will never faze.

    All will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the view that we see through your eyes Sherry! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much! I enjoy looking through your eyes, as well, kind readers!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.