Sunday, April 24, 2016

Summer



Summer's eye trolls the heavens like a cyclops,
merciless, singeing everything in sight.
The grass is yellow, brown, and dead
at half-past June.
The water tower is dangerously low,
and the firefighters have already exhausted 
their seasonal budget.

The adults wear grave faces.
The farmers worry about the hay.
But the berries are ripening early,
the tomatoes are delicious and the corn is sweet.

The horses in the pasture nibble
at dried up clumps of weed,
and seek shade at midday.

But the children laugh and play
in the yard in their plastic pools
as children have through all the summers
of my life.
And sometimes, early mornings,
the air smells as it did when I was a child,
and I am taken back
through all the years
to lake-scent and weeping willow,
sweet pea and mimosa,
me sunk in a book
in my Grandma's Big Brown Chair,
with every passing adult saying:
"What are you doing with your nose in a book
on a day like this? Get out in the sun!"
That sun I hide from now,
that sun that burns.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.