Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Spirit Wolf


You were my wolf-pup,
my companion
and my guardian.
I will have
no other
like you
in my life,
for such
special beings
come to us
but rarely,
and I knew
the whole time
how great
your loss
would be.

For years
our spirits
ran and played
together
along the
forest trails
and by the sea.

In later years,
forced onto
tamer paths,
and at a
slower pace,
you missed the wild
but gave it up
to be with me.

Your spirit strong,
your love for me
unwavering,
you followed me
to the very last
breath
of your life.
You resisted
death,
you didn't want
to leave me,
but it came,
to ease your pain
and set
you free.

It felt
impossible
to walk away
that night
and leave you.
It had always
been us,
and now it was
just me.

I love you
and I miss you
beyond telling.
Somehow I
simply have to
now believe
that you are still
my guardian,
my companion,
that somehow
your spirit 
still walks along
with me.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, Sherry. I hear the profound sadness in this poem. Such deep mourning for your special friend. I empathize, know the feeling...some dogs ARE more than canine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am sure of Pup's presence in your life, Sherry! Your boy would never leave you...he'll simply guide you along the path until it's time for you to be together again. I'm sending you love and a big hug because I know how difficult this time has been for you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is quite simply no question that Pup walks with you daily and nightly. No question. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherry you have broken my heart again. I try to breath, my nose is stopped up, tear blur my vision. I have been told, there are just some losses that are like that, not for everyone and not every loss. You are wise, you know he was a very special spirit and you were blessed. There is magic in the loss, and you will be a deeper woman because of it. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear of your loss but I can feel your love for your friend. I lost a very dear friend, myself,last year, an 18yr old cat named Oliver. I was sad for such a time so know how it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As Poets United reaches its first anniversary this coming week we want to thank you for your support. Over the past year we have grown to 250 members plus and are steadily growing. Poets United is proud to have you as one of our members and look forward to another successful year. You imagination, creativity and willingness to share with us is what makes our community such a wonderful place. Thank you for beautiful poetry and thank you for being a part of Poets United.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherry, you carry him in your heart and that means he lives with you,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart aches every time I visit here and see pup's picture waiting to greet your guests. I can only imagine how it feels to you. But you are right. Pup will never leave you. You know that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.