Friday, May 27, 2011

The Wisdom Keepers

[image from groundframe.com]

The Wisdom Keepers
are guardians
of The Wild,
their ancient knowledge
passed on orally
since ever there was
man, woman 
and shaman.

Because mankind
has departed
so far from
The Way,
some of them
are now revealing
the truth
of what they know,
to lead us back
to the path
from which
we've strayed,
towards
a better world
than the one
we've made.

Wherever they have been,
they have left behind
a trail of song,
and knowledge
of this ancient world
to which we all
belong.

I am off this morning, kids, to see the view from the top of the world. Like an astronaut I will look down on ocean, lakes and rivers, tall steepled mountains changing to round desert hills as the plane heads inland. My heart is full of wonder already, at the very thought of seeing this beauty from above. The earth's beauty always blisses me out, at the same time breaking my heart, at the thought of how Mother Nature is struggling because of the excesses of this last hundred years. However, today I will try to focus on the beauty -- remembering that the planet itself will endure, no matter what. It is mankind's future that remains in question.

Have a great weekend, everyone, and I will report back on Monday!

5 comments:

  1. Sherry Ma'am,
    Beautiful verse, shaman and all. Are they still around or just a historical being of native American history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the aborigines all over the world still retain this ancient knowledge of how to live with the earth. If only our global leaders would hear their message!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A trail of song... I love that! Enjoy your weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful piece, Sherry! Such a wonderful thing for us to know that we have been left this legacy to learn from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. True telling always makes for fine poetry. It probably won't surprise you to know that I have studied and practice certain shamanic techniques.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.