Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A Poet's Heart

[image by Flavia on google]

I.

A poet can live
almost entirely
on dreams,
for she can
envision
wonders
that may never
come to pass,
yet feel replete
simply in the
envisioning.

***

II.

So richly
peopled
are the
pathways
of the
poet's heart,
that she is
nourished
in her solitude
by its
bounty.

***

III.

A poet
survives
primarily
on hope
of what
might yet
come to be.
Even when
one has
realistically
surrendered
the expectation
of Possibility,
just knowing
it exists
sustains
till one's
last breath.

***

IV.

Because
the poet 
believes
in love,
in romance,
and in
people
rising up
to be better
than they are,
even if
it isn't happening
for her,
the fact that
it is
happening
for humanity
all over
the planet
is enough
to satisfy
the longings
of her
tired
and
waiting
heart.

***

This poem was sparked by Kerry O'Connor's poem to love a poet.
I got to thinking about this poet's heart, and how full it is.

7 comments:

  1. Surely you wrote this for me? For my tired and waiting heart??
    Today I read a poem by Kerry O'Connor about how being in love with a poet is being in love with unreality. And you commented that it was the best poem you had read all week? Well, yours is right there alongside hers for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE being a poet! And so do you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got me at #2. I don't know as I have read a finer poem on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Sherry, this made me cry. The sheer loveliness of it, the cascading form, the thoughts... great writing. Amy
    http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/sorry-plus-two-new-ones/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy you liked it. Thank you for reading and commenting:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a poet definitely is something special. Dreams, hope, and love definitely play their part. A wonderful poem, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.