Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Words

 


Words have led me on a journey
all of this lifetime: they waited for me
in busy years, when I felt guilty 
because I knew I should be writing.
They flew onto the page as fast
as I could write in those heady years
when all we poets were writing
at the top of our game.

Now all of that has gone quiet.
Visits are few. But the work
is still the work. I show up
every morning. I allow the words
to come and show me
what they have to say.

I write because that is the work
I am meant to be doing.
I will write anyway.

Day 28 


Inspired by Mothering Myself by  Felicia Rose Chavez

3 comments:

  1. And I, for one, am so very glad you do it. But this year's journey has also been fun and sometimes filled with laughter. And for me, that may be the very best part of it.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, words are hard to find and sometimes they can consume us. Keep writing my friend you still have much to
    share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherry, I am glad YOU have not gone quiet. Your words are treasures, and I am glad you write anyway. I have come to realize that visits are inconsequential, as many visited just to receive visits in return. I write for myself and always have. The worth of one's words is not measured by the visits of those passing by enroute to the next poem.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.