Thursday, April 29, 2021

Living Well With Little

 


My grandparents, who raised five kids
through the Depression, knew what it was
to be frugal. In Grandma's kitchen drawer
was coiled string and neatly folded
brown paper, for re-use.

They lived modestly in a small wartime cottage.
They never bought anything remotely luxurious,
never replaced their furniture, upgraded
or redecorated. Grandpa had two suits,
one for everyday and one for "good".
Grandma had a pink dress and a light blue dress
in the same style, made by a seamstress,
worn alternately.  I can picture them now
as clearly as sixty years ago.

My family was impoverished,
but my grandma was shocked
at the expensive cuts of meat 
my parents sometimes indulged in.

I often imagine how horrified
Grandma would be at the price
of a car or a house these days.
(I am shocked myself.)

From the Depression to Baby Boomers
to today, we have forgotten the lessons 
of frugality. Landfills, an ocean
garbage patch, and a walk along
any street or shore are proof
we have become
a throwaway society. I think of
my Grandma's kitchen drawer:
the neatly coiled string, the brown paper,
the economical but comforting meals
rolling out at the same time every day,
providing a road map for me
out of chaos and into a
more orderly life.

Day 29 Elizabeth's word for me was Frugal



2 comments:

  1. Very true Sherry. We seem to forget the goodness of frugality. But we are further shocked by the youngsters who splashed it out at costly eateries which were simple enough to be done at home at a fraction the cost.

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words paint a very vivid image of what frugal means and is. I think it might be a word that young people don't even know.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.