Tuesday, April 20, 2021

In Absentia

 

The neighbourhood fell silent
once you were gone: your big,
noisy self left an absence
so huge it became a presence
that has walked with me for
over ten years.

Those big ears, your goofy grin
a forever ache, a yearning,
something missing: the absence
of laughter, how you cracked me up
every day, how your brown eyes never
left me. How they looked
into my soul.

Even my dreamscapes are
absent of you. Though I long
for dreams where we are
together again, you fail to appear.

Where are you,
my big, noisy boy?

You have become a state
of being away. You are
a vacancy that can never
be filled.

You are, forever,
a wolf howl in my heart,
a crying to the moon,
a walk on the shore
with half my heart. 
The other half went with you.
It is wherever you are.

You always went before me
on the path.
Wait for me.
As always,
I'm not that far
behind you.

Day 20

Elizabeth Crawford at Soul's Music gave me the word Absence. In return, I gave her Presence. And next we will contemplate Separate and Together. A way to get through the rest of April.


3 comments:

  1. Will try this one more time. I really like your song of absence and know it as well. And thanks so much for being a true companion on this present journey.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is heartfelt my friend, ‘you are, forever, a wolf howl in my heart’ so beautiful stated. Never truly gone just transformed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this breaks my heart once again, Sherry. I do hope that you are quite a distance behind him, but I know you miss very much your trusted, loyal, beloved friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.