Tuesday, April 27, 2021

LIFE IN MOTION

 


I travel by cane these days,
tap tap tap,
reminding myself of my grandma
tapping her way back to the seniors' home
from my place, a tear running down her cheek.
She was homesick all those last years
of her long life. For a time, as I aged,
I was homesick too, until the universe
opened a way for me to come home.

This is life in motion. We are all traveling,
even when staying still,
walking through this light together
towards our hidden but certain destinations.

Field notes: a black bear is
ponderously pacing the Tonquin trails.
An owl called early this morning
from the park across the street:
whoo-whoo.
They are traveling too.

Sometimes I journey while sitting 
out front near the cherry trees,
head tipped back:
an eagle circles overhead,
reminding me of my daughter
mourning the move from the place
where eagles flew over her house.
Or I find myself back in the past,
moving through memories
of all the shining years,
lake-scent and whispering
engraved on my heart.

I return from these travels
humbled and grateful
to find myself, like a miracle,
here, in my life,
just the way I had
for so long
dreamed it to be.

Day 27

The italicized words are from "Transportation" by Kristen Lindquist


4 comments:

  1. You and I are so much alike, in so many ways. The coloring I do is like a doorway to all the stories in my past. And yes, I use a cane when I go "out" anywhere. And the memories are gold.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh, exhale from me ~~~ humbled \ grateful, how I feel as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, those little journey while sitting outside take one to special places in time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, we all travel....sometimes in reality and sometimes in our mind (which is reality too!). You have wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.