Friday, April 30, 2021

Into the Wildwood

 

Two of my four great-grandchildren,
Journey and Lunabella

When I want desperately
to save the whole world
and all of its suffering
animals and people,
but I can't,
I go into the wildwood,
where the yew tree drips soft rain
onto the ferns below,
all standing at attention,
faces upturned gratefully,
deeply drinking.

It is difficult to care so much
about all that is broken, unjust,
full of pain, where there should be
joy and thriving,
equity and promise.
Justice.

How can I tell Lunabella,
with her eyes so full of dreams,
who has never known anything but joy,
that the world is dangerous,
and one day will hurt her, cloud her
luminous eyes with tears?

"You are wise and brave,"
I will say, instead,
"and your dreams
will take you journeying."

I will tell her, "Listen for
the singing birds within the forest.
Place your hand on the trunk
of Grandfather Cedar;
feel his heartbeat.
Bathe under the smile
of Grandmother Moon.
When the world feels prickly,
go into the forest, and
allow the nature spirits,
the trees and the wild ones
to fill you with peace."

When I want so desperately
to save the world and all its
suffering ones, but can't,
I walk by the sea,
where the only sound
is the song of the waves,
roaring and mighty,
beating in time with my heart.
My footsteps on the sand,
weighted by the earth grief I carry,
wash away behind me,
as I turn my face towards
those better tomorrows
that must emerge
from all of this sorrow
for the sake of
Lunabella, and Journey,
and for
all the children.

shared with earthweal's open link 

9 comments:

  1. Delightful great-grandchildren with delightful names, Sherry! I love the picture you paint of the wildwood:
    ‘where the yew tree drips soft rain
    onto the ferns below,
    all standing at attention,
    faces upturned gratefully,
    deeply drinking’.
    The best places to soothe the pain of caring about all that is broken and unjust are forests and beaches. I think you are doing the right thing by teaching children about all that is beautiful and good – they will see the rest for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and sad and yet also rejoicing in the beauty around you. I feel your grief, I relate so strongly to this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aah yes, would definitely like to save the world and the suffering...and just doing my tiny bit just doesn't seem enough....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can save the world, two great grandchildren at a time. -- How they will remember the Great Grandmother walking in the greenwoods -- B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teach them to love the beauty of the wildwood and the beach, and you are helping the world.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. With all the suffering you have found your places of sanctuary and your great-grandchildren are so blessed to have a great-grandmother who tells them:

    "Listen for the singing birds within the forest.
    Place your hand on the trunk
    of Grandfather Cedar;
    feel his heartbeat.
    Bathe under the smile
    of Grandmother Moon.
    When the world feels prickly,
    go into the forest, and
    allow the nature spirits,
    the trees and the wild ones
    to fill you with peace."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes all one can do is work with what exists in your own 'backyard,' and I think you are doing a great job with that. Sometimes it is hard to admit our limitations though when we so want to save the world!

    ReplyDelete
  8. An entrancing poem, matching children's names that are enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could not agree with you more Sherry: for all the children. These words cut deep with me, as I have similar worries for my children's future, and that of their children, if having children is even an option when they grow up. I hope it still will be.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.