Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Nine Surprising Things Worth More Than Money.........




Nine surprising things that are worth more than money, than Stuff, than Things:

Yesterday I visited Menina, a dog I love. Her eyes glowed when she saw me as, because of covid, it has been too many weeks. I noticed her fur is greying, which means time is finite, (as it is, as it always is, though we try to deny it.) Meanwhile, she is here. And I am here. We smiled as we walked through the forest together.

I live near old trees, their presence so stately, so enduring, so tranquil, that my heart fills with stillness and joy as I walk through their peaceable kingdom.

The small blue yodeling jay on my balcony has a special song once he has eaten all the sunflower seeds. It means “More!” and he is the only one of my avian visitors who does this. I love that he keeps coming back. This morning, I sat on the balcony in the sun and he came, undaunted, to the seed bowl near my feet. He cocked his head this way and that, looking at me out of his sideways eyes, but was not afraid, a small gift to me from the world of the wild ones I love so much.

Yesterday afternoon, there was a sudden downpour, like a creek washing down from the sky, with thunder and lightning. My heart, as the thunder rolled, travelled back in time to my Grandma’s back room, where we sat in the afternoon through every summer of my childhood. My Grandma loved thunder, and fairies, and told the best ghost stories about people in our Irish family.

The government is giving low income seniors a one-time payment of $500, in the midst of the pandemic, when so many billions are flying in every direction. That is a lot of money, in my world, though some criticized it as too little help. At this time in my life I know that, whatever one receives, gratitude is the only appropriate response.

The other morning, two friends and I did a social distancing walk at low tide. We saw so much life clinging to the rocks that are usually underwater: starfish, purple and orange and squishy,  clumped together along the rock wall, green spiky anemones in tidal pools, a lone crab clawing his way ponderously along the sand, waving its arm menacingly as we bent to view him, a small knight fending off three giants, so brave!  So much life, everywhere, striving to live, as we strive, through the threats and the challenges, and the sure, sweet progression of day following day.

We are at the beginning of Phase 2 of the pandemic, being led calmly and carefully by Dr. Bonnie through the stages of keeping the curve flattened. I am grateful for all the people observing social distancing, caring enough to comply with the guidelines, keeping each other safe.

What is worth more than money? A dog’s love. Wolves. Friends. Poetry. My humble room, filled with my treasures, in the most beautiful place in the world.

Gratitude. Gratitude. Gratitude for it all.

Day Nineteen of Wild Writing with Laurie Wagner: Nine Surprising Things Worth More Than Money..............

2 comments:

  1. Nine amazing things indeed! Loved the detail about the small blue jay! Birds are really prevalent and interesting this time of year. And so nice that you had a chance to walk with Menina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed seeing the world through your eyes. Your love for Nature really comes across.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.