Monday, May 18, 2020

Let This Be the Year....




Let this be the year of the rough draft,
the year your pen caught fire and moved
across the page faster than you could keep up.
Let this be the year when you 
slink out from under all of the
Things You Should Be Accomplishing
and indulge in long, slow 
walks along the beach,
watching movies all afternoon,
putting off onerous chores 
until you feel like it
(which might be never. 
There is always that possibility.)

When those thoughts come upon you 
and stab you with the memories of times 
when you were not yet evolved
and you cringe at the memory 
of things said and done out of 
Your Great Unknowing, 
rather than flagellate yourself with
a muttered “Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!”, 
let this be the year when you
grant yourself some compassion, 
as you would for anyone else,
and say “I wasn’t whole then. 
I wasn’t healed. 
I didn’t know.”

Here’s what I forgot to tell you:
no one ever expected you to be perfect.
They only hoped you would not be harmed
and, in turn, would do the least amount 
of harm possible.
Let this be the year 
when the last 40 years of your living
hopefully make up for the first 30: 
the kindnesses shown, the gifts of time given,
the encouraging words, the support,
all to repay the many times 
you may have failed before.

Sometimes the words 
fall out of your mouth
with a life of their own. 
I remember the time when
the words dried up on my tongue.
“Do you still love me?”
he asked, as he had asked so many times,
for my reassurance.
But this time the words 
would not come,
so I gave him a silent hug, 
and he knew it was over.

I remember that small courtyard, 
the evening, the silence,
him telling me at the gate as he left
that he had really loved me.

Going into my house, 
free from the weight of his loving.


Day twenty-five of Wild Writing with Laurie Wagner


2 comments:

  1. This is very good, Sherry!! My favorite stanzas were the first three stanzas. And yes, we have to show compassion to ourselves - the same kind of compassion we (hopefully) show to others!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let this be the year of the rough draft,
    the year your pen caught fire and moved
    across the page faster than you could keep up.
    These are such great beginning lines, Sherry! I enjoyed your reflexion on this rough draft and the feeling that we do not have to act perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.