Thursday, May 7, 2020

Dead Woman, Waking



The dead woman took a long time to wake up.
When she did, she was astonished
that the world she had formerly looked at
through a pane of glass,
removed from the rest of life,
encased in her bubble of pain,
was now alive, and shimmering.
Every blade of grass, every speaking bird,
was outlined in radiance.
The trees were singing with 
the tongues of mystics,
and all of the wolves in the forest
were dancing with joy 
to the drumbeat of her heart.

Her eyes shone with wonder.
For so long, she had been travelling,
and now she had Arrived
at the Gate of New Beginnings.

She stepped through, sending her intentions
ahead of her into the welcoming forest.
At first hesitantly, and then,
more loudly,
as the wild things drew near,
she began to sing
a shaman's song.


Making a Soul Card Journey with Elizabeth Crawford.  Today Elizabeth wrote to the Dead Woman's Poetry theme, so I decided to join her. Also sharing it at earthweal's open link.



10 comments:

  1. This poem is so you! Indeed it describes your 'new beginning' well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Sherry, I thought I had left a comment yesterday. Glad to see you also tried the Dead Woman form. It does bring a different perspective to whatever tale is told.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to arrive at the gate of new beginnings. I love your imagination and your poem

    ReplyDelete
  4. through the lens, powerfully ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s exactly how I hope it will be, Sherry, when I wake up from this nightmare pandemic. I feel like a dead woman walking around our football pitch every day, seeing and hearing no one. But I am thankful for the wildlife that has continued to flourish. I’m hoping the new world continues like that, ‘alive, and shimmering’. Maybe wolves will return to the forests of Britain – I’d love to see them dance with joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! I especially like

    "all of the wolves in the forest
    were dancing with joy
    to the drumbeat of her heart"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Full of the mystery and joy of the primal woods and the world of spirits. I really love it Sherry, especially the bright, striking images of the first stanza,"..outlined in radiance..."

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of my new favorites. The second verse really speaks to me. Arriving at the gate of new beginning. There is beauty in entering that gate of new consciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The awakening is so majestic. The Dead Woman is a shamaness in the land of the spirits. - Brendan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Completely transfixed from the first line. This is so full of joy and light - a lovely read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.