Wednesday, May 13, 2020

In Captivity


Things to do in captivity:


Pace the width and length of your confinement; think about Nelson Mandela, 27 years in a cell, holding onto a vision of the sky.

Make a To Do list.

Ignore the list. You have already been putting those jobs off forever. They may never get done. Flagellate yourself for this procrastination, but only for two minutes. No point.

Turn to the small joys that get you through: books, movies, tapping at the keys, (persistently, like a demented obsessive woodpecker pecking holes in a soft brown trunk.)

Do you think of all you might have done, that you thought there would always be time for? Do you castigate yourself with shoulda, coulda, woulda?  Too late now.

Do you dream of what you’ll do once captivity ends? Rest and wait. Those days will come again; this time, we will be ready.

Dear fellow humans: I see you sitting at your window, pale and wan, looking out, dreaming of summer days on the beach. I, too, go to my sliding glass door many times a day, slide it back, stick my nose out to breathe the outer air: such joy to sniff sea breezes, watch cedar branches tossing in the wind.

In closed rooms all over town, humans are locked in, the way we cage animals. Now we know how they feel. May we set them all free.

What does your heart say? These are lessons we needed to learn. Mother Earth tried to tell us, with wildfires and floods. Finally, she had no other way. Through the animals we tortured and abused came this mutating virus that scares us to the bones of our being.

As you pace your rooms, whether small or grand, reflect on where we go from here. “This may not be the darkness of the tomb,” the wise woman* said, “but the darkness of the womb.” She says we can birth a new day from this time of gestation, a day whose time has come.

Look for the rainbow warriors. Look for light under the doorway to tomorrow. Let’s head for that light; join together in deposing the criminally corrupt. May wild women warriors stride into the corridors of power and set Mother Earth and humankind to healing.

*Valerie Kaur

Day Twenty of Wild Writing with  Laurie Wagner.


4 comments:

  1. Sherry, this is my favorite of yours in quite a while. I actually laughed out loud after reading the 'ignore the lists' and 'turn to the small joys' stanzas. You were definitely inspired. Indeed we don't have too much to complain about if we take into consideration Nelson Mandela's confinement. A keeper!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Valerie Kuir. Her message of revolutionary love resonates with me so much. Love what you've written here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps, out of the womb we will be reborn in new ways. May we breathe in the air with a new appreciation for life.

    I am enjoying your writings they come from that sacred place inside (the heart)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha. I like to do lists, or rather I need them so my mind can be busy with other things that are more enjoyable than my tasks.
    I also have a hard time thinking about what I will do when all this ends, because I do not see the end as a clear limit when we can resume all the things we used to do.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.