Friday, April 3, 2020

Wild Woman Speaks With Trees



Wild Woman woke up mid-life,
finding herself squished into a too-small box
of other peoples' needs and expectations.
Her years were hastening by,
zoom-zoom.
Her eyes followed the raven,
heart aching and lifting in sympathy
with her flight and freedom.
All  her dreams were of leaving.

Eventually, she had to head out to
an island.
She built her house of driftwood,
leaving the roof open to spaciousness
and sky.
She embraced silence with relief,
communing only with
a big black wolf
and the speaking trees.

They told her everything
she needed to know.


for Day 3 at Real Toads: Existentialism


6 comments:

  1. I love this photo and I so, understand your position, your voice!! I love your ending and am so,happy you were able to live your way~

    ReplyDelete
  2. All her dreams were of leaving...

    I can relate to this turning point in a woman's life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This mid-life wake-up is too familiar to so many women, Sherry, and you sum it up so well in the lines:
    ‘finding herself squished into a too-small box
    of other peoples' needs and expectations’.
    The freedom raven beckons, although my little study is like a driftwood house. I have trees that speak to me in the garden and the cats are close enough to wolves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these lines:

    She built her house of driftwood,
    leaving the roof open to spaciousness
    and sky.

    it's sublime ... and speaks about the need to let go, to wander and drift, ride the air currents, letting "the plan" speak to us, guide us to our own personal truths ....

    just lovely .... and wow, what a great photo Sherry! I love it. How gorgeous is this?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Old souls and ancient trees … they seem to be the only living things - these days - that know what is going on, with our earth. ~ sigh ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful. I'm loving how you're writing a memoir in poetry. Your words, your message so lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.