Thursday, April 23, 2020

ROMEO AND JULIET IT WAS NOT- a sonnet



She stumped the thorny aisle, pled troth, wore ring,
but on that morn no happy birds did sing.
His awkward kiss grazing her fast-turned cheek;
the justice of the peace smiled: two such geeks!
Babes in the wood, unaware and sorely bound,
a small cafe for their wedding repast was found.
Thus the beginning, which did not bode well.
The toad did not transform; she heard the tolling bell.
When it came to the intricate game of life and love,
it seemed she was a solitary dove.
Marry in haste, so many years to rue.
He built the cage from which she finally flew.

They came apart: the years ahead too bleak.
She waved farewell; he kissed her fast-turned cheek.



for Day 23 at Real Toads:  to write something referring in some way to the Bard.  I did so in the title, and by sharing a sonnet.


8 comments:

  1. The dove and the flying the coop -- the cage he built. Loving everything about this poem...the cadence of it when read aloud is also excellent. A good take on NotRomeoandJuliet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry...perfectly beautiful poem in the style of Shakespeare!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you know, I love a sonnet, Sherry. Perhaps Romeo and Juliet escaped a fate worse than death and their story ended happily after all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thus the beginning, which did not bode well.
    The toad did not transform; she heard the tolling bell...

    This is so well done, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is both humor and reality here. And many women can easily relate to your tale, Sherry. And perhaps just as many who still want us to believe in the fairy-tale. Good writing my friend.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherry, I so love this modern Romeo and Juliet. I, we--ex and I--lived the newly wed life for quite a few years, we started very young. But then in the 13th and four kids later the 'dove' flew to a newer, unused student's nest to stay. Chapters 21 - 34 of my story.
    I wrote to your April 24, 2019 post. I had a revelation brewing for it while I slept last night. I don't remember dreaming but I had my them, it came easily. Last year I didn't use many Toad prompts.
    I think you will like it. Of course your write would more elegant. But I am an amateur. Thank you for that prompt.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must admit, to the dismay of many literature aficionados, I've never been a Shakespeare fan. (My shame.) But I sure enjoyed this writing of yours. I love the story and the rhyme.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.