Friday, April 17, 2020

Watch for Me, a Sandpiper at the Edge of the Sea

Wickaninnish in blue

Dear Ones,
I will return to the shores
of Wickaninnish,
roiling in winter storm.
I shall come back to watch
the morning break
against blue sky and rose-tinged 
puffy cloud,
to see all the creatures 
stir and waken,
and the day unfold.
I shall return to gaze in wonder,
at the end of day,
as the sun sinks, purple, azure, gold,
below the horizon,
and the skies become a masterpiece
painted by God.

I may return as a seabird,
as Jonathan, 
still outside of the pack, observing, 
still hobbling on the ground
and dreaming of the sky.
I'll pick a shell in my beak 
and carry it off to my perch,
then drop it,
deep in the forest,
for a wanderer to find, 
and marvel at, years hence.
Or I might be a sandpiper, 
one of the flock,
lifting and turning together
as one body, at the edge of the sea.

How could my spirit not return
to the forests and rivers and ocean I love,
to catch my breath once more 
as the morning mist
drapes itself companionably 
across Lone Cone,
to behold once more her slopes 
turning deepest rose
in late afternoon?
The call of the murmurous, forever waves,
the smell of salt, kelp and seaweed,
ocean essence will draw me, 
as before,
to the beautiful shore.

I might return, briefly,
once again young, 
for the smell of peony
on soft-scented summer evenings,
for a shy, youthful kiss 
under weeping willow,
lake ripples lapping gently,
and all of life's hopes and dreams 
lying ahead,
all golden and shining.
I will return for apple blossoms, 
and the smell of sage and Ponderosa pine
on hot, dusty hills
covered with yellow flowers.

But then the shore will draw me back,
as it always did,
the blue sky drawing my gaze 
as it did for
all my many years.
I will heed the call
of the ancient trees, 
where restless spirits live,
their mournful song whispering 
secrets and wisdom -
urgent truth for us to hear and heed,
if we but listen.

If I don't return in body,
I will return as raindrops on salal,
as moss on an old stump,
or old man's beard on cedar.
I will return
in wagging puppy-tails 
and wise old elephant eyes,
or a grey whale, diving, 
its fluted tail arching over and up,
then slipping down, down, 
into the mysterious depths.

Watch the world with wonder,
as I have these many years,
and you'll find me, 
never farther away than
the nearest beautiful thing.

10 comments:

  1. Sherry, This is absolutely beautiful, yes, I believe you will return. I went out today for a quick walk. I have been inside for too long. A beautiful blue heron came to see me it flew overhead and landed where the cattails grow. I felt blessed and wonder what spirit flew with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely that you saw a heron........I need to walk down by the harbour, where someherons hang out, has been a while since I saw one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this poem, Sherry. I will return.. maybe in a different form, but ever present. This is so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My eyes are also a bit shiny and wet as the waves after reading that. There are places in our soul that can't be erased, and surely where we have loved them so deeply, we will know them again. Just lovely, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, friends. That means so much to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely poem, Sherry, so evocative of that beautiful place you live in...JIM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smiled when I saw this, Sherry. You breathed deeply and came up with the wild beauty that surrounds each of us. And forever calls us back to see again.Thank you...

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful poem...loved every bit of it...!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The "shall" in this is majestic, it sweeps like an ocean wave into the godlight of shores. The poet become world. And what a truly beautiful final line. - Brendan

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful poem, Sherry! I love the way you set the scene of the seashore in the opening stanza, beginning with day breaking and ending with the sinking sun. I too would be happy to return as a seabird. You’ve infused the second stanza with your inner Jonathan – I love that book! The whole poem appeals to the senses, especially in the lines:
    ‘The call of the murmurous, forever waves,
    the smell of salt, kelp and seaweed,
    ocean essence will draw me’
    and
    ‘…the smell of peony
    on soft-scented summer evenings

    ‘…apple blossoms,
    and the smell of sage and Ponderosa pine
    on hot, dusty hills
    covered with yellow flowers.’

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.