Saturday, April 11, 2020

Rabbit



I once grew a garden
when the world and I were young,
rows of food to feed my
 smiling, leggy children,
all those summers in the sun.

Fat rabbit,
you wandered down the rows,
eating as you pleased,
then you'd lie down for a snooze
beside me
as I plucked weed after weed.

You grew and grew,
and then one day
went missing from your cage.
I suspect a neighbourhood hunter
came and carried you away.

I remember my summer garden
when the world and I were young,
and a soft fat gentle rabbit
lying beside me
in the sun.


for The Sunday Muse

13 comments:

  1. Sweet memories of fat furry rabbits might be an answer for the angst we feel now ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this lovely memory and the growth of a garden and that rabbit! Beautifully rhymed and written Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful memory, my grandmother had a large garden. Rabbits are wonderful to watch as they munch on clover. It's amazing how still they can be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, Sherry. I think he became trusting of humans. Perhaps the hunter brought home as a little girl's Easter Present.
    HAPPY EASTER !!
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have memories of a long ago garden, but it was my dog, named Mac, who rested beside me. Always on guard. I love your wonderful story poem...
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this, the rhythm and the warm memory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good memory. Me, I found out after dinner that we had just eaten the rabbit. That's what the world is like sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love this. We had a white rabbit when the girls were growing up...His name was Peppermint.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This reads like a beautiful song! It's absolutely beautiful Sherry. The rhyming and rhythm are soothing and serene.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you can write something so sweet even though you suspect a hunter embittered the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As soothing as a child’s story. From beginning to end this was a joy to read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.