Friday, April 24, 2020

Alive on Planet Earth



When the Westerly blows,
and waves crash rapturously on the shore,
when treetops poke their spires
up through the fog along the slopes of Wah'nah'juss,
my heart exults in wonder.

When the eagle's piercing cry
echoes across the harbour,
and the heron picky-toes along the rocky shore
seeking her breakfast,
dogs lolloping in and out of the waves
with loopy grins,
and surfers stand to ride, and fall,
and rise again,

When the morning sun rises
over Lemmens Inlet,
geese flying above in a wavering V,
as the sandpipers whirl and swoop as one
along the water's edge,
and ravens croak their gobble-cry,

When  sunset paints the sky
with colours too fantastic to describe
as the big old fiery orb sinks down
below the horizon at day's end

When just being alive and breathing
in this  forever place
seems wealth beyond compare,
and I most richly blessed,
thankfulness expands my heart
to bursting, again and again,
so dearly do I cherish the beauty,
the sheer interconnected wonder
of Clayoquot Sound.

How grateful I am
to have walked this earth walk
along its beloved shores,
the song of the waves
forever advancing and retreating
in my heart;
how dearly I feel the blessing,
rich with all life's worth,
just to have another day, like this,
alive, on planet earth.


I revised an older poem for my prompt on  Day 24 of Poetry Month at Real Toads:  Wonder

Also sharing with earthweal's open link.


12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, Sherry. The way you write it, with such love of place and rich description, allows for us to breathe it in, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is wonderful! How could you not love a place like that? I'm sure I would too. Your description lifts the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many beautiful places on earth I will never see...Thank you for being my eyes and letting me look through them at such beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderfully encapsulated, Sherry. Who wouldn't love such a place?💝

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the lively opening of this poem, Sherry; you’ve conveyed the sort of weather that gets my adrenaline going! I also like the repetition of ‘when’, taking me on a magical journey in nature so that, at the end of the poem, I really feel the gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They have the keenest eye who love a place most. Who could not be truly present in such a song? Great stuff Sherry and a wonderful tonic for the time. - Brendan

    ReplyDelete
  7. a magical gift indeed - to be so blessed, as are we - through your words; you walk us into the moments, the sounds and sights ringing alive in our mind's eye, - how exceptional for the diversity and wealth - the richness of it all - truly, something worth treasuring and holding close in the heart - most especially YOUR heart Sherry; hold these images close, for they will be what helps sustain you - and remember, even during the darkest hours, even during these difficult times of restrictions etc, you just have to step outside and slow walk into the wonder ... it's right there, for you, waiting.
    (lots of hugs my friend - just because we all could use more than 'some')

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, we have to be grateful for so many things -- remember all of the things to be thankful for as we walk on this planet earth! Living on the water as you do is a true blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing the gifts of this wonderful place. I felt like I was there walking along the shoreline. I went outside for a bit yesterday and it was so refreshing as I drank in the songs of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely poem, Sherry and a tribute to the healing and uplifting powers of nature...JIM

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is wonderful to be here on planet earth, to appreciate its gifts and beauty. Your poem is so lovely. Revived a little joy in me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.