Thursday, January 24, 2013

In the Infinitely Possible Universe



Taking time out of time,
I can,
this morning,
without leaving home,
lift my heart out of life's
gobbling dailyness,
setting it free
amongst
the infinitely
possible
universe.........

arnfinnjohansen.com

I am sitting in an upper row
at the Imax,
and on the big screen
in front of me
spreads the Kalahari,
lions stretching and yawning
in the amber glow
of the African veld,
herds of wildebeeste
flowing across
the brown and endless land,
a wave of life
surging to a
common shore.

Mike Iyvers - flckr.com

Now I'm sitting
in a stone hut
in the Himalayas,
drinking butter tea.
In the glow of the fire,
warm brown faces
smile at me
with kind eyes,
their expressions radiant
with the peace
of their hearts'
simplicity.

foreigners-in-china.com

Walk with me
along
the Great Wall of China,
then let's nip over to
see the rounded shapes
of the Mystic Mountains.

tripadvisor.in

Or travel the Camino,
five hundred miles
a pilgrim,
sleeping on stone benches,
the trail one long thirst.

google

In Dharamsala,
I sit with red-robed monks,
in a silence so vast
the veil parts,
I am half in
and halfway out,
co-existing
between two worlds.

There are
no limits
here.

google

So now we travel space,
a vast blackness,
stars scudding past,
exploding and imploding,
the glow
of comet-dust
upon our seeing eyes.

Time to come home,
and I'm most happy to -
home to my tiny nest,
with its barking dogs,
its clean, green
sweep of yard
full of marmalade-colored leaves,
cheerful with Tibetan prayer flags,
bamboo wind chimes,
waiting porch swing.

A planetary pilgrim,
a resident of the universe,
at home.




When I first wrote these words my nearest neighbor was a tender newborn foal,
small as a medium-sized dog, who clung to life with a sweet tenacity and spooky 
pale-blue and inquiring eyes.

He left this world fourteen months later, was buried with his favorite ball in a green spot
where now an apple tree blooms each spring.

There is a bench there, for sitting, and remembering Baby Leo, his spirit
now running free in some other  parallel reality in this infinitely possible
universe.

12 comments:

  1. I'm not sure why, but I feel like crying after reading this. Once again, you've touvhed my heart. That's what a good writer does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a shining example to the traveler mentality. This piece shows us how to similarly embrace it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the most fun of any hermit I know. Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww, the story of Baby Leo breaks my heart. What a sadness that he did not survive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is all poem, the world travel and the little foal, the monks in red and the ball under the earth. Travel with Sherry is very satisfying wither in joy or sorrow or simply peace and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not sure that these are both parts of the same piece, but they certainly work well together. Agh. So amazing. So sad. What a place the world is. Inspiring and moving both. Thanks so much, Sherry. k.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not sure that these are both parts of the same piece, but they certainly work well together. Agh. So amazing. So sad. What a place the world is. Inspiring and moving both. Thanks so much, Sherry. k.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Sherry,

    You took places, then we headed home.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

  9. Dearest Sherry,

    You took me places, then we headed home.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this Sherry as a prayer - for knowing you and for where I am in the moment, it is a prayer. I am grateful for what you put out into the universe. Very Grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a journey you took us on! wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.