Thursday, May 10, 2012

Today's News

Ella's prompt today at Poets United's Thursday Think Tank is: The News. I just looked at my sister's newspaper and grabbed a selection of what popped out at me. We'll ignore  world issues, just this once:) I thought of using the haibun form for this prompt; a haibun combines prose and haiku. Instead of writing the prose, I decided to let the actual news items be the prose part. See what you think.




Bad news is filtered
through sunshine and birdsong.
Pilgrim, take heart.



Bad news is filtered
through sunshine and birdsong.
Pilgrim, watch the sky.



Bad news is filtered
through sunshine and birdsong.
Pilgrim, speak your truth.


Bad news is filtered
through sunshine and birdsong.
Pilgrim, hearts can heal.


[Man dies after falling into shredder]


Bad news is filtered
through sunshine and bird song.
Pilgrim, time is short.



Bad news is filtered
through sunshine and birdsong.
Pilgrim, trade your gun for roses .




Bad news is filtered
through sunshine and birdsong.
Pilgrim, cling to hope.




Bad news is filtered
through sunshine and birdsong.
Pilgrim, remain grateful.

14 comments:

  1. So much bad news out there, isn't there, Sherry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool effect you've created using the actual "clippings." Very unique presentation, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your idea! I love the unity and the connected thought and how you took the bad and made it hopeful news~ Well Done... I loved it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad isn't it but bad news, disasters, scandal and such are what the news hounds chase. They never seem to want to show all the good in the world that still happens. I (personally)feel we are in a global chaos right now which is becoming increasingly worse, not so slowly either but, there is always that little ray of hope.
    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too much bad news and less of the good stuff. Nice format here...the repetitive lines echo your thoughts...time is indeed short ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I relish the opportunity to read the news through your eyes - sometimes it is hard to cling to hope, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherry,

    My goodness the news is bad everywhere it seems. In fact world-wide issues....I almost avoid the televised news these days. I read about it all online and that is often depressing enough....
    We must search for the untold, good news!!!!
    Best wishes and thank you for all your recent Blog visits and comments Sherry. Always appreciated very much:)
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful format, Sherry. You are a brave soul to take on the news. I only venture into the "news" portion of the paper when my mood can support it. Otherwise, it's just too depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like what you've done with this Sherry! Very poignant and an imaginative idea to present it, too. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the way you experimented with this form and used the news headlines and photos. Very creative and has such an impact.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sherry, we have tonnes to learn from you. Each word you used to 'reply' the newspaper clipping is cutting dry apt.

    I have the International Herald Tribune 100 years of covers. And my, has the world news changed. Or has it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. there's just too much bad news, and that's why i don't watch it

    sonnet 40

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done but ready with such difficulty ... when will we ever learn?

    ReplyDelete
  14. One can only wonder what this world is coming to. With so many issues of starvation, hunger, disasters, the environment and personal tragedies, I simply just have to wonder as a global community, where in the world are we headed to?

    Great post Sherry and very well crafted!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.