Sunday, April 28, 2019

Then, It Was Always Summer


House with trees and clothesline - Walter Silver Photographs


Take me back to summer days
when I and the world were young, 
my grandma hosing the garden down
against the summer heat,
laundry on the line before 8 a.m.,
honeysuckle and sweet pea 
on the morning air,
those blue-sky days of summer,
when joy was everywhere.

Take me back to counry roads
and apple orchards,
bullrushes, weeping willow,
lake-scent and whisperings,
engraved on my heart.
Life hung, suspended,
waiting dreamily
for Real Life to start.

Back then, 
it was always summer;
my dreams were
young and bright.
The future lay 
shining ahead,
touched with a golden light,
and it seemed possible,
back then,
that fairy tales 
would turn out right.


for Margaret's prompt at Real Toads: Photographic Images. And shared with the Poetry Pantry at Poets United.

Disclaimer: it was a rude shock to discover real life, as opposed to the fairy tale. Yet, eventually, after many bumps and bruises, it did turn out all right. Just not the way I had expected. Smiles.


13 comments:

  1. Life is terribly inconsiderate when it comes to letting us know that fairy tales are not as sweet as our young selves thought. But, thank goodness, we can become really good at doing great things with the unexpected. If not, none of us would be able to live with all the screaming (and the lack of lived words) *giggles*.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this, I WAS transported, let myself savor those "always summer" days. We were blessed to have them - I think a part of them will always live in our hearts. This is one of my favorites of your poems, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think remembering our dreams back then we might realize that some of the thing we were leaving is better than what we found... but we still have those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can almost hear the cicadas and the summer breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is absolutely stunning, Sherry!❤️ I especially love; "Take me back to country roads and apple orchards, bullrushes, weeping willow,
    lake-scent and whisperings,engraved on my heart."❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I wish I could relive a bit of the fairy tale dreams I once dreamed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful Sherry. those "blue sky summer" days were miraculous. And thought they didn't turn out as you expected, I think they turned out pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trying again. My first comment disappeared altogether. Love your poem and the vivid imagery that seemingly sings off the page.

    Elizabeth
    https://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/2019/04/28/adrift/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, we had a lot of similarities in our childhoods, from the beloved grandmother to the apple orchards ... and many of the other things you mention too. I think such a foundation strengthens us for the later disappointments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely, Sherry. I think we have lived in the most desirable of times. I also lived with country roads, wire fences, crops growing, and plenty of native areas to play. That was in Nebraska, we did have winters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well if you aren't on "fire," my new fav!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful, vivid fairytale. Life tends to intrude.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What wonderful memories, Sherry. My grandmother died when I was six (the other one died before I was born), so I don't have a lot of memories of her though. I do remember my mother having clothes on the line early though & watering the garden as well. Fond memories of a simpler & wonderful time! Nicely penned, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.