Monday, April 22, 2019

For Shay



I fought beak and claw
through a grey and shuttered landscape
to find the Land of Poets
and enter in.

I found many poets
happily penning poems there
in the Garden of Golden Words.
The first time I read Shay,
she had someone
toss a dead squirrel 
through the open window 
of a passing pickup.
Whoa!
I sat up and took notice.

Shay showed me how far and wide
and sky-roofed a poem could be.
She said, Take a situation, 
or a character,
and ask "what if...?"

In the Land of Poets,
hers is the rare voice
that speaks
in a class by itself.
No one writes like Shay.

So this one's for you, my friend,
just to say
thank you for 
your wonderful poems
that light up all my days.


for Shay at Real Toads, with thanks, as she leaves the Garden. (But we know where to find you!) Since I read that first poem in 2010, I have not missed a single one. Thankfully, Shay will still be writing, and around, which is a huge relief.


9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to honor Shay...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was one of my "Witch of Waxahachie" poems you remember. I am so happy that anything I have written or done touched you, Sherry. I remember the love poem you wrote for that one man that was how i first noticed YOU. I'm so happy to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely poem for Shay, Sherry, especially the lines:
    ‘Shay showed me how far and wide
    and sky-roofed a poem could be’.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sherry, Shay has brought me so much also. I hope she doesn't roam to far. I need her poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderfully well said. I remember that poem of Shay's too ... and many others. It's true that no-one writes like her; she always amazes ... and thrills ... and turns one inside-out and one's world upside-down....

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful dedication Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fine tribute, Sherry. I relate to the skunk through the pickup window. BTW, do you remember the old song, "Dead skunk in the middle of the road?"
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Sherry. Shay does deserved to be honored. Her writing is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.