Sunday, April 21, 2019

THE GIVING TREE




First, you ate the fruit off my branches.
I happily gave you bark to make your baskets.
Then, you wanted more, 
hacking off limb after limb,
scattering birds’ nests
and squirrel families.

Starting at my top,
through the years,
you cut me lower and lower,
to feed your voracious fires.

Now, there remains a stump,
which I offer you generously:
Sit, take your rest.
I am sorry I no longer provide you with oxygen.
Breathing is something you forgot about
when you cut me and my sisters down.


For  Kim’s  prompt at Real Toads: tree mythology. I remembered the book called The Giving Tree that my kids used to read, where the tree offered itself to the human’s increasing demands. At the end, it offered rest upon its stump. I live in an old growth rainforest, with trees a thousand years old and older. They are not protected by more than lip service. In Port Renfrew, not far from here, an old growth forest is on the chopping block as we speak. This is madness on a heating up planet.


15 comments:

  1. The book sounds interesting, Sherry, I’ll have to look it up! It’s amazing how an old children’s book can almost predict our present dilemma with regard to forests and heating up the planet. I love that you’ve given the tree a voice and that it directly addresses the reader – I feel guilty reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Sherry, mindless deforestation is a calamity. Nicely expressed here...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the trees will come back... saplings coming through the tarmac, I wonder if we are there to see the forests coming back?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that sad plight of this tree and unfortunately many others. My husband has been trimming our giant Mesquite out back these last two days, and my heart quakes with each fallen branch. I know the tree will grow better and be happier, but...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who are we kidding? We killed the forests, we kill ourselves. This apex species was always suicidal, hacking off the limb we sit on with our sharp flint knife. I say we should have a seat and breathe deep the air we turned into carbon confetti.. Well done, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely poem Sherry. I don't live in an old growth forest but I feel every tree that is felled for yet another new subdivision. I read that book years ago and it made me cry so I don't read it anymore. Good write

    ReplyDelete
  7. Breathing, food and shelter. What could be more basic. It's nice how you capsulized the book, which I do remember.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I hate how we destroy trees. In the little woods behind my house they live and die by nature's hand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, trees are very giving, and forgiving. But if we remove them, they cannot be either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sad, sobering poem. The older I get the more sacred trees become to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ouch! I felt this to my heart. Yet the kind tree still gives of itself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's heartbreaking to know that mankind doesn't appreciate both beauty and significance of trees.. sigh ..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know how heartbreaking this is, witnessing ancient giant trees being decimated for development.I believe there will be personal consequences for those doing this in this life and in the next. It is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree, it is heartbreaking and painful to know and to watch.

    Elizabeth
    https://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/2019/04/22/bloom-of-knowing/

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a sad fact of life, and it just keeps happening.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.