Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Scars To Your Beautiful



You were born perfect;
hair, eyes, round cheeks, smiles:
Beautiful, just the way you are.

Looking back, down all the years,
I see the many you's:
Girl on a tree stump.
Girl at the shore.
Girl loving her brothers.
Girl keeper of dreams.
Girl with a Mohawk.
Girl with tattoos.
Girl with hair colour
changing every week.

Each one
perfectly you.

You were saying:
I am a never to be repeated event
in the history of the universe.
You will never see one like me again.

(Sweet girl,
we already knew.)

And now you are a mother
raising rainbow children
with happy  eyes.
You have built your  house
strong, with cozy walls.
You filled it with dreams
and the echo of your grandma's cackle.
Its windows gleam golden
in the setting sun.

You left the roof open,
because nothing can contain
that bright spirit
that needs the whole sky
to fly in.


For Aria, who at age two named me Grandma-by-the-Whales

for my prompt on Thursday at Real Toads: Scars To Your Beautiful




18 comments:

  1. Love the message in your words and can feel the abiding love...

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The echo of your grandma's cackle" such a sweet legacy passing down. I love that Aria calls you Grandma by the whales! So sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow - this is just a most deliriously wonderful and wonder filled poem;

    and there are some absolutely excellent phrases - a never to be repeated event, left the roof open because ... wow! and how sweet and apt - Grandma-by-the-Whales - that is a wise woman little girl child!

    loved this Sherry. :D

    happy and safe travels

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful! This so lifts my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so flipping in love with this poem. Thank you, thank you, thank you for writing and sharing it/her. What a beyond beautiful tribute.

    This is my favorite line: "I am a never to be repeated event" ... But also, so many others just made my heart happy ... like, "raising rainbow children" and "You left the roof open." Somehow, I think that is the key to our future --- leaving the roof open. Of our minds, but also just living outside, body and soul, as much as we can.

    And you know I loved that mohawk. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grandma by the Whales! Love like this knows no limit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of love contained in this poem, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this so much!❤️ Grandma by the Whales sounds so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sherry, what a beautiful poem!!! She is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What poem filled with pride, love, and acknowledgement of her 'herness" I called my grandmother Ninny after my favorite horse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely poem, and I adore the nickname she gave you Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful poem, so endearing a story told with love and a touch of humour,,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful poem, Sherry. If part of you grows to then grow her own rainbows, you are making the world so much better. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  14. Daughters and granddaughters can do no wrong with moms and grand moms. Aria has your number, "Grandma-by-the-Whales".
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  15. No roof, rainbows, and Grandma-by-the-Whales.

    Love this touching poem, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A super sweet poem, thank you, Sherry1. K.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They have our hearts - and you have written such a motherly poem...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.