Sunday, April 7, 2019

The Owl is the Doorway Into the Unknown

West Coast owl


Two weeks after my mother’s death in 1994, I was driving past the forest on my way to her small farm. I was thinking of her, of all the words we did not say, the misperceptions, misunderstandings, subjects we could not talk about. In our lifetime, it had always been that way. At her death, I had released it all, so she could pass in peace. I knew her spirit would then better understand my heart.

Suddenly, a brown owl appeared, flying  in front of me from left to right, so close I could see every feather. Her head was turned my way, looking in at me, our eyes locked together. Time slowed, as if suspended. I was still driving, yet not-driving, as she looked deeply into my eyes, flying ever so slowly across the windshield, then off into the forest, green and wild. I believed an oracle had been, and that she carried my love to my mother in the spirit nation. I felt as if a message had been delivered and received. 

I can see her still, so close, every feather outlined, her eyes speaking,  a magical being from the otherworld. I can still feel the power and portent of her glance.

*****

This prose piece is for Telling Tales With Magaly at Poets United: write a story of 313 words or less and employ magic realism. I used 204.

The above incident is true, but I magic-ed it up just a little. Time DID slow, she flew past extremely slowly, her eyes and mine locked together. (Somehow the car stayed on the road.) The rest of the magic is that I believed she took my message of love to my mother in the spirit world. I wrote about this in 1999, in my poem "The Owl is the Doorway into the Unknown". The title is from a quote by Nikki Scully, from The Golden Cauldron.


17 comments:

  1. Beautiful sherry. Closest incident I can think of is when my grandmother passed and i was in another city for my exams. That night she came in my dream and we hung out , went for movies.. things i never did it with her when I was alive and yet in my dream I didn't know she had passed. I still feel the tight hug she gave me and her grey sari. surreal..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I know with every fibre of my being that your grandmother visited you that night. When my Grandma died, I was on my way home from her funeral and suddenly the melody of Galway Bay, her favourite song, came through my head. I mean, I was not thinking of the song, the song itself travelled THROUGH my head from left to right and out the other side. And I knew it was my Grandma, passing through.

      Delete
  2. As I read this, I can heart your heart pounding in my ears, your eyes wide, your hands holding on to the wheel, your thoughts focused on those feathers and on that mystical face (owls have such interesting faces). I wonder if you were able to stay on the road because the spirit of your mother helped... sending you a message of her own.

    This is what I love about magical realism. Not that it could work as escapism or that it could detach us from reality, but that if offers us a chance to expand the limits of our reality so that we can experience... more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know I was helped to stay on the road. It was the weirdest, how time slowed, almost stilled, the owl and I caught in our locked gaze, the urgency of her message in her eyes. I see her, still.

      Delete
  3. A deep feeling so lovingly expressed in words. A neighbor of my mother's apartment passed away in 2006. that evening a kingfisher entered their home through open windows and stayed whole night to the utter astonishment of the wife and son. Then in the morning it flew away. This happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this share. Such a wonderful gift to the wife and son.

      Delete
  4. I love the visit of the kingfisher. Yes, this happens. I have so many stories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a memorable visit. Definitely otherworldly and significant. An experience to treasure and stay with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can feel this event unfold and it happens quite often for those who are open to received the message. I love the image of the owl.

    There are those moments of suspended time and it does feels like one has entered another place and I think one has.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with everything everyone else has said. Such moments / incidents are so special, they not only make a huge impact at the time but stay with us forever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful tale this is Sherry. When you lose a family member or friend you need such an event to occur to confirm their feelings for you and that all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heart gave a happy sigh reading this. What a lovely moment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Sherry this really grabbed my heart! Losing those we love when there is so much unresolved and sadness left from the past can be so devastating. I love that you had that moment with the owl flying by. How beautiful, and what a wonderful way of having some closure and a sense of peace that you so desperately needed. I love this story Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They say when we see a monarch butterfly it is someone we have lost paying us a visit. That's if you believe that kind of thing. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a powerful, mystical moment. I believe the owl was both protector and messenger. What a beautiful visual you've created in this story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this story. Owls do seem magical and your story makes this come to life in such a beautiful way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a beautiful story, Sherry! I loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.