Saturday, November 17, 2012

Toad, Not Turtle-Dove

[image from animal.discovery.com]

Disclaimer: The wonderful Kerry at Imaginary Gardens With Real Toads has set us a mini-challenge this weekend, to use an eight-line poem by Yeats as a guide, with  alternating 8, 9 and 10-syllable counts and some repeated words within the lines. I started off seriously enough, but found I could only manage an eight syllable count all the way down. And then I got silly. I will offer it here, as an attempt gone awry, with apologies. But on a rainy Saturday, a smile is always welcome! 

If I were but a turtle-dove,
the whole night through I'd sing to you
my repertoire, all songs of love,
all songs of love, the whole night through.

But I'm a croaky-Toad, I fear.
My songs of love you will not hear.
I'll send you to your bower-bed
with earplugs for your downy head.

Sorry, Kerry. Sometimes I just cant help myself! Click over to Toads, kids. There are sure to be some wonderful responses to this prompt by my fellow Toads.

20 comments:

  1. You got a laugh from me! Those morning coos can get pretty overbearing too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No apologies to me are necessary. I love it! I especially loved the way the repetition worked in lines 3 and 4. The poem is certainly musical, even if the toad is not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL.... thanks for the chuckles Sherry :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why am I thinking Debbie Reynolds :-)

    I am so glad you are not a turtledove but a witty lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was quite a 'hoot.' Or should I have said 'quite a croak.'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smiles welcomed indeed my dear friend and your wit and sense of humor, too!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome final line!



    Aloha from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral

    ~ > < } } ( ° >

    > < 3 3 3 ( ' >

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, it's delightful...I love it, Sherry. Love your humor too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant - I loved it. It's raining here as well but, with fun like yours, who cares.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So so clever, much much fun. k.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You made me smile, Sherry. This is very silly in all the best ways.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A love song is still a love song, whether it is croaked or done by a symphany orchestra. Loved this one, Sherry,

    Elizabeth
    http://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/2012/11/18/burnt-sacrifice/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this Sherry! And I think it great that you took off from the form and created your own version of the form. I always suspect that the people who devise these forms (like Yeats) are laughing at us trying to fit into them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so fun. I just wish the toad's that lived behind our house when we lived in Michigan had been so considerate to offer earplugs. Even with our windows closed, they could be heard and after awhile, I kind of liked the sound.

    ReplyDelete
  15. earplugs are not such a burden :)
    love this, sherry. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this. I needed a smile. It was a tough day. I went to the memorial for a friend. My heart and mind just didn't seem to cooperate for me to write for this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What fun Sherry ~ Who says we always have to be serious in our writing ~

    Have a good week ~

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the sound of the turtledoves in our neighborhood, but I'm sure not one myself. My voice irks and irritates.
    Thanks for this fun poem. I love it.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  19. no apologies necessary for giving us cause to smile, Sherry!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.