Friday, December 17, 2021

SURRENDER

 


We live in uncertain times.
Our practice must be surrender
to whatever comes next.

It might be a shaman with kind eyes
walking out of a tree
in a dream
to encourage my passage.

It might be the mournful howl
of a dying wolf, collapsing
on my front lawn, legs going rigid,
then still.

It might be his recovery
from near-death,
his tail coming back up,
and wagging,
his big, toothy smile.

Do I get on the bus to the farm
in this Omicron world
trusting I will be safe?
The animals
of flood and fire,
having known such
flight and terror,
show us how to
live today's reality,
then do it again
tomorrow.

For how will we ever
find the sun we seek
when we keep surfing
sorrow?

Inspired by Shavasana by Rosemerry Wahtola Trommer. Shavasana is the corpse pose in yoga.

My neighbour's wolf dog, Kodiak, whom I love very much, nearly died last weekend from ingesting something toxic. He is only now returning to himself, which is a huge relief. 

Sharing with earthweal's open link


7 comments:

  1. I guess we have to be a bit fatalistic and do our very best to protect ourselves from Omicron and then hope for best. I hope on the bus people MUST mask. Also, to reassure yourself, maybe have your family look for those Rapid Tests (BiNAX is one brand) that one can buy at drug store, etc. I have some here and we will ALL test before getting together Christmas. But in the end we all have to trust. Be well, and write on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poem raises the question that must be on the mind of many. It certainly is on mine. How do we live during these strange times? I'm glad the wolf dog survived. I lost my last dog to poison - its awful Suzanne - Mapping Uncertainty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep surfing sorrow... that pretty much sums up these times. Be safe, Sherry... hope you have a safe bus ride and are able to enjoy the best of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Surfing sorrow" for me means ennui for a Holocene which will never return, not for many centuries. Living as poets and shamans in a changing world is our yoga, teaching our young how to sing in the storm. Glad Kodiak is recovering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of surfing sorrow, I read that a huge chunk of Antarctic ice could be about to break off into the sea and melt, raising sea levels by half a metre worldwide. We are all cowering because of covid, and failing to see the bigger danger. I'm all for living today's reality, though, and trying to do it better so we have some chance of tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am worried about you getting on that crowded bus at Christmas time especially if mask wearing is not mandatory...I have even been discussing with folk...down under brigade says no...not worth the risk.
    I wish I were there to drive you. Merry Christmas dear Sherry ...see you next year...Rall

    ReplyDelete
  7. No worries, Rall, my brother in law is coming to drive me...he has serious lung problems so cannot risk covid and our numbers are rising. Busses do make a mask mandatory but it still felt too risky to me, am relieved I will have a ride........wishing you happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.