Monday, December 20, 2021

Forever Entranced

 


I could write an elegy
for all we have lost,
and are still losing,
and yet,
I remember that night
the snow was so thick,
driving through the forest,
when I saw the trees
with awakened eyes,
luminous Presences,
leaning over the road,
radiant, watchful ,
protective,
shimmering,
in a way
I had never seen them
before.

The earth is a lament,
these days,
for all we have lost,
and are still losing.
And yet, the sun is out
this morning,
the world is shining;
the beach will be beautiful
when I get there,
the sea-grass coated in frost,
surfers whooping in joy,
not deterred by the cold,
as they seek out
that elusive perfect wave.

It occurs to me
that one day,
it will be today
someone will be lamenting
as a golden time that's passed,
when I am no longer here
to hold the losses in my heart,
no longer here
to beam my grateful
 - heart-full -
glance,
bound here by the beauty
that keeps me so
entranced.


for earthweal: SOLSTICE (Nadirs and Zeniths)


9 comments:

  1. ". . . losing,
    and yet . . . " this is what we hold and beam, we that have been graced by sight, ears--all the senses--and soul. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you will always be bound to your territory and its beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very meditative, Sherry. Realistic. Yes, we have lost so much. There is much to lament. And someday it will indeed be each of us that someone will be lamenting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hold on to the beauty Sherry. I believe it to be a pathway to the new world we so long to see. I love your image of frost on the sea grass. I've never seen anything like that. It must be utterly beautiful. Suzanne - Mapping Uncertainty

    ReplyDelete
  5. It takes a fullness of spirit to hold both great loss and heartbreaking beauty together in one song, but you do. This is all that gives birth at solstice. A sweet, majestic, sorrowful hymn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is still so much to be grateful for: and so much to try and protect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course! Whatever the future may bring, anyone alive in 2071 will be likely to remember 2021 as the golden innocent time of their youth.

    Kind of a funny feeling when people think of the 1960s and 1970s as innocent or even peaceful times, now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work, just like all your work this year Sherry, may 2022 just fly to the moon! Peace and joy at this turning of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the beautiful image of the snow laden trees leaning over the road when driving at night

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.