Friday, December 10, 2021

Song of Praise

 


Tla-o-qui-aht Tribal Park
source

Let me write you a praise poem
about how, yesterday, Wah'nah'juss
was dusted with snow,
a sprinkling of talcum powder
along her womanly shoulders;
how I caught my breath in wonder.

Let me tell you about wonder,
how it has carried me through my life,
made me a blue sky lover,
a communer with ancient trees,
has propelled me along the wildest
shores, exulting. Let me tell you
how the wild world sings to me,
how I sing back in praise 
of her never-ending beauty.

I have not words enough to paint you
the way the mist drifts and changes
on hillside slopes; how the clouds
form along the ocean's horizon,
turning colours at dawn
and eventide - how this feels
in my heart, as I look upon
this beloved landscape with joy.

Let me tell you about joy.
It is a wild wolf puppy gamboling
along the beach, chasing a leaf.
It is a walk along the cliffs, when the waves
are huge and crashing over black rocks
to our awe-struck "Wow!"
It is returning home after too many years away,
a heart forever-after grateful to open my eyes
each morning and find myself still here
in the land of my dreams.

Let me tell you about dreams - how they led me
out of the desert and through the mountain pass
to the home of my spirit. How, not once, but twice,
the door to Clayoquot Sound opened and
invited me in. How
grateful, grateful, grateful, I.

Let me speak of gratitude, how it fills my heart,
how I whisper "thank you!" so many times a day:
thank you to the trees, to the ocean's roar,
to the sweet harbour, the hills,
the village dogs with their loopy grins.
"Thank you, Tofino,
for welcoming me in."


Inspired by Ellen Bass who writes what she calls "praise poems." There is so much to praise in my life here. 

Sharing at earthweal's open link.


9 comments:

  1. I had the joy of visiting Tofino back in the year 2000. You certainly are blessed. This poem is one of your best Sherry, it captures your surroundings and your response to them so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you have been here! I am trying to steer clear of political rants for the moment, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, thank you. Thank you for calling us back

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://comfortspiral.blogspot.com/2021/12/oahu-winter.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  5. This should answer your question friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your gratitude and hope in these dark times, Sherry! We all need it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As they say in AA, a grateful drunk will never drink again: The brimming cup here heals so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You deserve the luck in finding your way back there again You deserve to live in such a beautiful part of the world

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful prayer of gratitude to what sounds like such a beautiful place, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.