Thursday, December 23, 2021

CHRISTMAS 2021

 


Already, tomorrow is Christmas eve.
Yesterday, the grey sky barely lifted.
It grew dark at four o'clock.
We drove through the mountains in the rain,
into the misty valley,
Christmas lights winking in the gloom.

Even the horses were sheltering in their stalls,
but the juncos and hummingbirds were
as hungry as ever at the feeders,
enjoying their pre-Christmas meal.
We leave the tree lights on all day
to cheer us, remembering other years
when the whole family gathered,
noisy and laughing.
So much has happened since.

One year, happy with your gifts,
you said "I'm so happy, I'm sad."
You were always making us laugh.
Now you sit in a wheelchair
in a nursing home,
half of your body not working.
Sometimes, now, I make you laugh,
a startled laugh that lifts my heart,
because if we didnt laugh, we'd cry.

Somehow life goes on
through all the highs and  lows.
Somehow, this strangest of Christmases,
like all the others,
will come and then will go.

For my son Jeff, only 50 years old, who suffered a stroke last summer. It is good we can't see ahead to what can befall us in our lifetime.



5 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to learn of your son's illness. I hope he is doing well now. When you quote:
    "I'm so happy, I'm sad."
    this reminds me of a conversation I had with my mum more than 30 years ago.
    Wishing you Christmas blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm so happy, I'm sad" -- that's the bittersweet glory of christmas, I think. Yesterday my wife and I visited her father in memory care -- he has Alzheimers -- is physically healthy yet mentally gone. Had no idea who his daughter was but beamed with eyes closed when she patted his head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, this is how life is. Ups and downs. Christmas comes and then it goes. Sad what your son is going through this time of year...but somehow life goes on!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad to hear about your son...so young for this tragedy to happen... but as you said if we didn't laugh we'd cry. All things must pass. Christmas blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.