Wednesday, December 29, 2021

A Portal for Our Dreams

 


Beneath the epidermis, top-left quadrant,
I feel the pinch: where memory resides,
three-quarters (or five-sixths?) of a lifetime long.
How many years are left, to gaze on loveliness,
consort with dogs, pen my rhymes?
We always want more, when this moment
- now - so richly layered, is perfect
and Enough.

We let so much slip by, may only realize
how glorious it all is when mobility is gone,
and we're viewing life through a single window pane,
when our bed has become a portal
for our dreams. In our darkest midnights, still,
sometimes we fly.

My bones are bending to the earth
like a witching wand, a tuning fork,
attuning themselves to Mother Earth's low hum.
In those profligate years, we thought time endless,
spent it gloriously, foolishly,
those days when we felt forever young.

Now memory sings, now pinches,
Time woven through with snippets of wonder:
sea-fog wisping across small islands,
smell of sea salt and clumps of kelp,
a raven's throaty croak, an eagle's dive.

Such gratitude
that I am still
alive.




7 comments:

  1. So much truth to how life is flows in these gorgeous lines Sherry! I think many of us can relate to the feelings you have shared so wonderfully. Your poetry always inspires me my friend, and I hope to be reading it for many many years to come. Happy New Year Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry … your poem is a work of art and speaks directly to the heart and soul of this eighty year old. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My bones are bending to the earth
    like a witching wand, a tuning fork,
    attuning themselves to Mother Earth's low hum.... there is no better way to describe growing into harmony with nature.. a fabulous poem, Sherry. Am touched and in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am grateful for you, too!!xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is your Ben Bolcain, verdant pane between memory and the moment. What a ripened place, the heart and mind of this, and what a gift to the tribe ...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.