Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Dusk



When dusk slides into evensong and shadow,
and songbirds trill in flower-scented bower,
crickets sing sweet night-songs in the meadow,
peace and gratitude abide, this gentle hour.

When songbirds trill in flower-scented bower,
the skybirds find their nests. The stars wink on.
Peace and gratitude abide, this gentle hour,
the world adrift until the morrow's dawn.

The skybirds find their nests. The stars wink on.
The garden fills with fairy folk and firefly.
The world's adrift until the morrow's dawn.
We light candles to do our dreaming by.

The garden fills with fairy folk and firefly.
Crickets sing  sweet night-songs in the meadow.
We light candles to do our dreaming by,
when dusk slides into evensong and shadow.



A pantoum for the Tuesday Platform at Real Toads, hosted today by Pat.


16 comments:

  1. Lovely poem Sherry the surrendering of day is aptly related

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. a great picture...your words caught not only the visual but the feel of it as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Sherry. Breathing this in. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is beautiful. I can hear the wonderful chorus of sounds.
    Mary (thanks for visiting my sis LuckyHiro's poem at Wilds of Idaho)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We light candles to do our dreaming by,
    when dusk slides into evensong and shadow.

    To retire the night most peacefully is the ultimate. Great pantoum, Sherry!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh this is luscious for the form and for the words - really - but I do have to say, the form does this incredible justice - it reads itself like a delightful hymn, a lullaby - a cradle song that both enchants and is filled with grace for the gratitude of the blessings of the natural and mystical ....

    I really like this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. fairy folk and firefly.. magical!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this was magical for me! I love the wording, the form and you had me at trill! lol I saw my first lightning bug aka firefly of the season tonight~
    This is my new favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice, Sherry. It makes me appreciate Dusk so much more, revived to hold the place where childhood has it. Magic and fireflies and the dog beside, watching the night come in. The pantoum seems a natural, causing one to linger longer with the verse's message.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the magic of this... I feel that this is a place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a lovely thought...end of day, night-songs sung by crickets.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this form...such a beautiful scene you have evoked with your words.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful, and full of wonder, Sherry! How I miss Real Toads. My muse is missing still, but still has time to return. Meanwhile, I have you representing our Western Canada. Hugs,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  14. a beautiful way to end my day of work and now to read this peaceful poem and then rest, dream, so thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, the beauty that surrounds us..heavenly!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.