Sunday, May 6, 2018

A Magical Sea





Along the Medicine Way I journeyed,
dipped my toes in a magical sea, 
laughed with the wind, danced in the rain,
and my soul was returned to me.

I bow to the sky, I run with the wind,
the raindrops cleanse my thirsting heart.
Water gives all creatures life,
is sacred from the very start.

The great bowl of the sky above,
the earth below, so brown and fair,
humble and mothering, offer gifts
to humans, all so unaware.

Wheeling seabirds,  laughing waves,
are luminous under a midnight moon.
I chart my path where there is no path,
knowing I'll head homeward soon.

We are born in water. At the end,
to the dying, water is our last  friend.
I lived in love with the ocean's roar.
My heart could not have asked for more.


For Sumana's prompt at Midweek Motif: Water


15 comments:

  1. Reading this poem "my soul was returned to me."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh. I love this. Touching your feet to water is always magical and holy to me as well. One of the last things I gave to my mother as she was dying was a drink of water. That line really touched me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so well done... you connected that special bond between people and water....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the first stanza especially Sherry - it speaks to me of the joy of, the gift of the sea.
    Water is our life, is life.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Water so spiritual. So humbling. So sacred. luv this poem so much

    My favourite lines

    "Water gives all creatures life,
    is sacred from the very start."

    Much🌼love

    ReplyDelete
  6. The great bowl of the sky above,
    the earth below, so brown and fair,
    humble and mothering, offer gifts
    to humans, all so unaware

    It is a pity when it is to ensure survival not just something nice to have!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  7. A sacredness about this poem held me. Toes in the water-always a delight. Absolutely haunting ending.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a magnificent poem Sherry, I really loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sea is healing. Anyone who is fortunate enough to live near the sea should give thanks.Beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such prayerful, heartfelt lines Sherry. Dipping in this wonderful flow of words "my soul was returned to me."

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful poem...totally in love with the last stanza!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lived in love with the ocean's roar... oh, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "a path where there is no path"

    This phrase reminds me of one of the Psalms in which the singer remembers how the people of Israel were led through the waters of the Red Sea, following the footprints of a God they could not see.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lyrical testimony to the importance of water, Sherry!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.