Monday, June 17, 2013

No Pasaran




Kids, this summer is the 20th anniversary of the blockades of '93, at which first a handful, then hundreds, then thousands of passionate earth protectors gathered to block the logging trucks on the Kennedy River bridge early every morning, protesting the clearcutting of Clayoquot Sound. I was there, and as I watch  Bob Bossin's stirring video Sulphur Passage, produced by Nettie Wild, and see the faces of my friends, I get chills and the tears rise, just as they did those early mornings on the road.

932 were arrested, in the greatest act of civil disobedience in BC history. It had an effect - the Sound was declared a biosphere reserve and many trees were saved. Though, as everywhere on this planet, it is a constant struggle trying to preserve and protect against big money interests.

Many many people now come to visit this beautiful place, which gained international interest - and some high profile spokespeople -  during the passionate summer of 1993.

10 comments:

  1. This is a great docu-folk-song-drama! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What British Columbian could ever forget Clayoquot Sound?
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracias for sharing. My ignorance precedes me concerning this significant event. I guess it's because in '93, us residents of these lower contiguous states were living our own selfish existences.

    Have a wonder reminiscing celebration. Thank you from us human beings who are greatful for your and their sacrifice to salvage part of 'our Earths' soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it's 'grateful' but I thought I'd use the misspelld word 'greatful' with the intended emphasis on 'great' as it relates to the event.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so wonderful to know there are brave and committed human beings who fight for what's right. I wasn't aware of this protest and its success. Thanks for posting this. It gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why clearcut? I understand we need natural resources, but why devastate an area? And some areas should never be touched - some things humans just shouldn't have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed the commitment of the protesters - their song is nice as well. I wish there could be a way to meet in the middle and find a place and take some of the trees, replant. DON'T devastate the area - that was horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As Margaret Mead said, never doubt that a small group... make that a MONSTERSTRONG group of committed people can make a difference. I'm so proud to know you. You put your money where your mouth is, Sherry. It's one thing to blog, "Aw. What a shame..." and quite another to risk arrest when the cause is just.

    Happy anniversary for a VERY big deal. You helped save many "old souls." Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS I'll be back blogging after the weekend. Taking a break and using the computer at Java Cat, an all-cats-themed cafe Pup probably would have hated, ha ha. Wanted to check on close friends... love you, Wild Woman! Amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks you so much for being there and for not forgetting. We have to keep at it for a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.