Wednesday, August 31, 2022

At the Poetry Reading

 


At the poetry reading,
Cricket, the white senior dog,
sat attentively,
listening to my poems
about aging gratefully.

She had an expression on her face
like she was adjudicating
the poems.
All philosophical,
and slightly weary.

"Humans," her expression said,
"They always
over-think it!"

Our new poet laureate, Heather Hendry, hosted a lovely Poetry Picnic at Monks Point last night. Monks Point is the site of the very old house of one of Tofino's pioneers, Katie Monk, whose gardens are lovely. The site is co-owned by the District of Tofino and the Nuu-chah-nulth people, and its eventual use has not yet been determined, other than it will be a protected site. 

I was hoping I wouldnt choke up reading my last poem, as it was about my love for this place and my limited time here. I happened to look up and catch Cricket's expression and she just cracked me up! Saved the day.

I love dogs so much.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, and you make it so easy to understand why.

    (There's a stereotype that cat people do not appreciate dogs. They didn't get that from me.)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.