Tuesday, August 30, 2022

All Sad Songs Sound the Same

 


Walking alone beside the silver sea,
a melody takes me back in reverie
to summer days with you under the sun
when you and I and the world
were still so young.

A blackbird heart you had,
that yearned to fly, your spirit
not free to join me in the sky.
It was your heart I hung
all of my love upon.
The doves sang
us awake each day at dawn;
then, one silent morning,
they were gone.

I've carried you with me,
a bittersweet
blackbird memory,
a shadow life
that never came to be.
The love was true,
only our youth to blame.
Since then, all songs of lost love
sound the same.


for Shay's word list, where we are contemplating the wonderful work of Jackson Frank, a sure way to awaken those old-time blues.

11 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Sherry, and echoes Jackson Frank's lyric "Wherever I have gone, the blues are all the same." I love "blackbird heart" and this entire poem. Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was that song that took me straight to this poem.

      Delete
  2. All songs of lost love sound the same. That is true as it beats from the blue side of the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, there is something about that youthful love that lives in one's heart forever. A very touching poem, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wistful and lovely Sherry. The last lines are truly stunning. Young love is one that we do carry with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigh, there is an ethereal beauty to this poem balanced with a stark reality. Gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  6. Because in some ways they all *are* the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can we, as women of a certain age, claim not to have experienced what you have gifted us in your poem .... I do not think so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "a bittersweet
    blackbird memory" - excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The rhyme here works so well, Sherry, to open up the emotions and take us back to that time when everything was young, fresh, new and so powerful to discover for the first time. I love "blackbird heart" and the perfect cadence that falls so softly line after line, and the sad wisdom in the title and end line.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful bittersweet poem. You're right, all sad songs do sound the same, and thrust you back in that vivid memory of a lost love. Great write, Sherry <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.