Sunday, August 25, 2019

Windigo



“In the beginning of all things, wisdom and knowledge were with the animals; for Tuawa, the One Above, did not speak directly to man. He sent Animals to tell man that he showed himself through the beasts, and that from them, and from the stars and the sun and the moon, man should learn . .. for all things speak of Tuawa." -Chief Letakos-Lesa of the Pawnees Tribe to Natalie Curtis, circa 1904

Ted Andrews, Animal Speak: The Spiritual & Magical Powers of Creatures Great and Small


Through the mist, I see a shaman,
on a fencepost, point the way;
into the forest, I go, listening,
for all it has to say.

Wolf Spirit, Windigo, you sorrow
at the extinction of your clan,
the destruction of your habitat
by the tribe of man.

Once we lived and spoke together.
Once upon a time we knew
that everything was connected.
You were me, and I was you.

The animals are speaking.
If only we could hear
their cries of distress and hunger,
so heartbreaking, so near.

The forest is deep and dark
and there be spirits here.
When we listen to the creatures,
their message is so clear.

Their peril and ours is connected,
they most want us to know.
Owl, Oracle, Guardian,
protect me as I go.


For Play It Again, Toads. I chose Hannah Gosselin's Transforming Nature's Wonders, one of my very favourite prompts, back in the day!

11 comments:

  1. Always in your element when you write of the Earth and animals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Helen. You write so passionately and lovingly about the animals and nature. I fear for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherry, this is a nice write about a not good situation, bad news the shaman is telling. We need more like him/her to spread the word, more and more will complain and someone with the power and concern needed to change things will come along. We need more like you also.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. the tribe of men is voracious. the reckoning will be blunt ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. No need for a sharman to spread the word. Blind Freddy could predict the outcome of our future. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but we have left it all too late !

    ReplyDelete
  6. If we could only hear them, indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were me, and I was you.

    There was a time when this was understood more clearly... Modernity has taken us very far from our animal spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, why, why did we cut the connection to nature? It breaks my heart. I grew up totally immersed in the language of nature. I lived most of my days outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we can hear them... we just ignore them and listen to ourselves instead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, Sherry. And such an important message. I wish we would all listen more to the Earth...for her sake, and our own.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So poignant.. I love especially; "Once we lived and spoke together.Once upon a time we knew that everything was connected.You were me, and I was you."πŸ’–

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.