Friday, August 23, 2019

Untitled

Our little house on Ethel Street


Remember me as a time of day:
daybreak, with songbirds,
when I rose singing
a morning song,
turning the tap for the swhish-swhish-swhish
of the sprinkler in the garden,
gazing at the blue friendly hills,
breathing in lake-scent and weeping willow
- and summer.
Back then, it was always summer.

I grew green things, those days,
and a family of leggy, hungry children.
They remember waking to my singing,
or to the furious tapping of my old Underwood
as I wrote my latest poem.

Those days,
we rode through town
in a line four bicycles long,
like a mother duck and her ducklings.
People stopped at the intersections
smiled at our wobbly passage
as we sailed through.

Think of me older, if you will,
as being always in the forest,
or  walking by the sea,
or writing a poem
in which I remember you
and you can remember
me.


for Kenia's prompt at Real Toads: to use a song title in a poem. I chose Remember Me as a Time of Day. Cool prompt.


8 comments:

  1. You composed a lovely, heartfelt message of love for the now ... and the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful rembrance. Singing with the birds. You have been rhrough a lot since then but you have regained your joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sherry this is such a lovely poem! I adore the energy and the memories conveyed in it, and this photo! Thank you so much for writing to my challenge! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely memories you have here. So beautiful Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your poem really captures the happy moments of a past, when it was always
    a summer morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Sherry this is incredibly stunning!💖💖

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful poem, love the memories, the energy, and so love the photo!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.