Friday, September 21, 2018

SAUDADE



The withering leaves of autumn
are releasing, one by one
- fearful of falling,
but having no choice
as stems weaken and let go.
The Westerly puffs his cheeks,
scattering stratocumulus
across Father Sky.

Those days,
I walked with you,
along the shore,
exulting,
life more perfect then
than I had ever dreamed.

You took exultation with you
when you left.
What remains is
underlying sorrow,
playing counterpoint
to golden mellow hours,
like a slow, sweet saxaphone
playing a serenade of love
on a late-summer September afternoon.

For Shay's prompt at Real Toads - to choose one of the words. SAUDADE jumped out at me, the pervasive longing for one who is gone.

13 comments:

  1. Yes, I feel it too, for my dear boy who has been gone a year but still visits me in my dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like how you bring in the saxophone, playing a serenade of love - that has a very soothing quality. so tough to lose someone you love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your Sudade, Sherry. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You truly brught out the meaning of this illusive word Sherry. I know how much you grieve for Pup and truly believe he is waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need sad music to cheer me up... that saxophone sounds soothing when you recall the better times that passed

    ReplyDelete
  6. seasons shift and turn ... and memories burn as intensely as the colours, and yet within the fire, it can keep love alive in one's heart; and soothe in softer ways, less painful, somehow, for just the song that continues to play .... kept and treasured;

    well done for the capture of the meaning of saudade (I really love this word) ... longing ... aching ... yearning ...

    take comfort, you will meet again I'm sure ... when the time is meant to be

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was lovely, Sherry. You know I feel the same way. 🐾

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not surprised so many poets chose "Saudade" as it that feeling that many of of us still hold close with the ones we have lost.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful, Sherry!! I am touched by your music!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your words are beautiful Sherry and I am moved by them. Like others, I am sure you will find his companionship again in some other place where the saxophone plays out its lovely serenade for evermore.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.