Saturday, October 2, 2010

A Girl Named River


Her name was River.
She was young
and lithe,
her long hair
streaming
down her back.
In the village,
where she
appeared
one autumn,
there was a
definite
shortage
of men.
One day,
the sun glinting
off his shiny
bald head
outside the
bakery,
she told him
he was cute
while he
blushed
and
shuffled and
stammered.

Soon
they were
together,
through the
single
most glorious
winter
of his life.

But in the spring,
she grew
restless.
Rivers
have a way of
moving on.

Years later,
he remembers
that lost love,
the intensity
and suddenness
of passion
that awakens one
from long slumber,
and that
devastates
when
just as quickly
it is
gone.

10 comments:

  1. River, I see you are following - thank you! Your name on the blogroll made me remember another River from some years ago........but part of this poem is yours, because I so love your name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has all the allure of legend, Sherry. A girl named River and a lost love. Such an imaginative piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple yet very effective. Another great piece sherry. Much love Kx

    ReplyDelete
  4. i guess the trick is to play with river and let her go when she wishes... and also let go of the memories...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful story, I agree with Kerry, this has the allure of a legend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some things aren't meant to be tied down or bound. It doesn't make them less beautiful but instead adds a beauty all of it's own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherry :)
    I too love the story. You definitely have something started. I am going to read this to a close girlfriend to double make sure b/c this is so much like me. You are a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Get out of town, Sherry. This went straight to my heart, it reminded me of Beatrice so sharply.

    I loved the blad head outside the bakery and that entire scene. "The most glorious winter of his life." And then, the restless leaving, as Rivers must.

    Oh, don't do this to me too often, my very talented friend with the big heart and soul. Don't you dare.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am wondering if it may have sparked your blueberry muffin poem, in which case, it is worth it:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.