Wednesday, October 2, 2024

On Hair and Feathers

 



My hair rides my head
like a protest.
It goes its own way
         and refuses to be tamed.        .
Wild Woman's sense of fashion has been,
at best, mixed: jeans
and wolf t-shirts, running shoes, frizzy curls.
Looks I admire tend to the wild side:
dreads, long grey pony tails and beards on men,
on aging women, that certain look, au naturel,
that sets us apart 
from the
twin sweater-set crowd
with their tight and tidy blue curls:
kinda alternative, unconventional,
still Being Who We Are.
As we pass, we exchange smiles,
and toss our manes.

I met an old hippy over in Coombs.
We recognized each other
by our unruly hair.
He told me in Haight-Ashbury,
back in the day, he wore
Puss In Boots leather waders,
with buckles, right up to his thighs.
Those were the days, my friend.
Why did they ever end?

I so admired them, back then,
those paisley/patchouli hippies
on Fourth Avenue, serenely
living outside all the rules,
while I lived my cramped, married-woman,
beaten-down existence
just one block over.
But soon enough, I was free,
chewed my leg off to escape the trap,
bought my first pair of jeans,
grew my hair long,
began to live.

My running shoes carried me far,
through ten years in Tofino,
among other refugees from the 60's,
heart and hair equally wild,
completely whole,
drenched in joy and sea-spray.

Now I consort with trees, wolves,
druids and dying things.
I drape myself in old man's beard,
wear moss slippers and clothing made of bark.
As Old Woman of the Woods, I come into my own,
talk to owls and decorate my hair
only with feathers.


9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful journey - I am glad you have grown into the self you have always been

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Sherry I was smiling through this poem...even though I have zero idea what Puss In Boots leather waders are or patchouli hippies or the twin sweater set crowd... and I love the close with the feathers in the hair!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so enjoy your autobiographical poems, Sherry, and the fact that, although there are hundreds of miles between us, there is so much that we have in common. I love that we are ‘au naturel…kinda alternative, unconventional, still Being Who We Are’. And I love that you talk to owls and decorate your hair only with feathers’

    ReplyDelete
  4. "As we pass, we exchange smiles,
    and toss our manes."...Love the attitude soooo much. 👍

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Being Who We Are.
    As we pass, we exchange smiles,
    and toss our manes." I relate to Wild Woman's sense of fashion, and love meeting the eyes of someone else whose "hair rides my head
    like a protest." A wonderful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can picture your 'look,' Sherry. And having the freedom of 'being who we are' is so important. I love that you met an old hippy, and you both recognized each other by your look. Keep being yourself...that is what is most important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, Sherry! If I saw you walking by, I think I would recognize you by this poem, free and wholly yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do you, Sherry--because you do it so well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great opener! LOL! Now i know why your knee is so sore; you chewed your leg off to get free. :( P.S. I think GREEN curls are ok.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.