Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Bamboo Memories

 


I remember
sitting on the porch swing,
listening to the clack of the
bamboo wind chimes
which made me think of Africa.

How we'd sit there,
of an afternoon,
just being,
just loving.
Happiness.

I worked hard for
so many  years,
to keep the wolf from the door -
and then I let him in!
And what joy
was ours,
those fourteen years
that will never be enough.

You were disguised as a wolf-dog.
But I had known you
in other lifetimes,
and your eyes recognized me
the way a human would.

We both wore disguises.
I was a wild spirit
trapped in an aging body.
We limped along together,
towards the end,
me ever aware,
as your footsteps padded beside me 
on those late evening walks,
that one day 
they no more would.

I still pine for you.
I pine.




10 comments:

  1. I know you do, Sherry. He is such a special soul, and so are you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Wolf dog. And opening stanza with the porch swing, clack of the wooden chimes that made you think of Africa. Really good, concrete images. Once you let a dog in the door he's yours forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the image of the two of you on the porch, enjoying life. What a connection the two of you had. I love that photo of Pup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Other animals who live with us like family are missed as much as our human family are, yes.

    PK

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sad, so sad. Missing our fur family is a never ending journey. I will say the wind chimes reminding you of Africa made me think of "Out of Africa" which made me smile. I love that film.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you both wore disguises!! Such a special relationship Pup and you had.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful tribute to a beloved friend. Almost made me teary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A love like that surely never ends, always a part of each other. Beautifully written, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful in every way Sherry! It is never enough time is it? I love the idea of knowing your precious pup from another lifetime. I have felt that before myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. for your sake, I hope there is a spirit world, Sherry, where he awaits you. and if not, his presence alone in this one was a blessing to be cherished all the more for its brevity ~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.