Friday, March 1, 2024

Tell Us a Story, Grandma


facebook image

Grandma lived frugally
in her five room wartime cottage,
which likely cost around $7,000.
Grandpa's Ford Fairlane was listed at $1900
in the 1950's.
Bread cost 12 cents,
a dozen eggs were 60 cents,
(equivalent to $6.40 today,
according to google.)
Beans were three cans for 25 cents.

She re-used everything, from butcher paper
to string, tucked into a top drawer.
She wasted nothing,
having raised five kids
through the Depression.
Minimum wage was 75 cents an hour.
And people lived on that.

When I was nineteen and a working girl,
I brought in five paper bags of groceries
in 1966, that cost 11 dollars.
We lived well on little.

This could be the story
of what capitalism and corporations
- and greed -
have done.

My Grandma told me stories
of family ghosts,
her eyes twinkling.
My eyes are sad.
What stories
can I tell my grandchildren
and great-grandchildren
about this world 
of war, distress and struggle
that we have made?


 

5 comments:

  1. Sherry, I do think you can tell your grandchildren some wonderul stories of your OWN life! (I am sure dreadful things were happening in the world at the time of your grandmother as well...but because of the times spent WITH your grandmother, you don't now focus on those things.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a nice portrait of your grandma. Mine was much the same. But I agree with Mary, you have a lot of wonderful stories to share, as proven here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our grandparents thought the Depression and War years were rough, and even the "roar" of the 1920s was a sort of desperate grab at pleasure in times of plagues. Our good times should make stories as good as theirs. "And I waited for the specials every few weeks when cans of vegetables were six for a dollar, and we thought that was awfully expensive, because OUR grandparents bought similar cans three for a quarter."

    Then we can tell them how greedy money handlers, trying to generate money merely by handling it, have invented the idea that everything should cost more than it cost last year, and how that totally has not worked for anyone but the bank and credit industries...

    PK

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this poem. You are right. It's all about greed.There is another way to live well. It requires effort time creativity recycling, rethinking and resistance to the bombardment of consumerism. My Grandmother said if you want lovely things learn to make them yourself. I still have button tin and I hand sew :)...Rall

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.