Wednesday, February 14, 2024

No Time to Make Things Pretty

 


This is no time to make things pretty:
the world is askew; democracy is in peril,
the climate crisis continues apace
and no one sees the danger. Human beings
are trying to survive bombs, displacement,
starvation, lack of every basic need.
This is not the time to write poems
about the sunshine and blue sky 
out my window, the beauty of the harbour,
clouds wisping along the slopes
of Wah-nah-jus, waves calling to me
from Na-na-kwuu-a.

But, there are a few things my heart knows:
still and always, the mothering earth
under my feet grounds me, gives me
a place to stand, where I belong.
My head may be worrying about
another year of drought in a rainforest,
the way the world continues in denial
of what is surely to come, or that
some of our leaders are actually deranged.

Yet my heart still leaps at daffodils
emerging from hard packed earth,
how they butt their heads through
the hard crust and
reach for the sun. We are excited, here,
to watch the first salmonberries bloom,
the bears waking up from their long
winter nap, buds on the trees promising
a sea of cherry blossoms in April.

Humankind has lost its way.
Suffering on earth has reached critical mass.
And yet, here is Mother Earth,
in spite of us,
doing all she can, season after season,
year after year,
to keep us alive.

Inspired by This Is No Time to Make Things Pretty by Maya Stein. The italicized line is taken from the title.

4 comments:

  1. A powerful poem, Sherry. Yes, humankind has lost its way! There is no way anyone can pretty up that fact!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try Hannah Ritchie's book Not the End of the World: How We can be the First Generation to Build a Sustainable Planet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.