Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Dispatches From the Edge of Hope



Fellow traveler,
across the charred landscape
of our broken dreams,
I bid you safe passage,
(a safe journey, a safe return,)
a door open wide
on arrival to shelter you,
cool water to drink,
sustenance
and rest.

Apocalyptic skies,
falling embers,
blowing flames,
have overtaken the road
most traveled.
See the burned-out cars
alongside the road.
See the creatures
with burned paws and hooves
limping beside us,
dead-eyed and stricken,
innocent victims of human folly.
Where are we going?
Forward, only forward
into whatever comes next.

I can only offer a blessing
for your travels.
(A safe journey, a safe return.)
May all beings find
a place of safety in which
to weather the storms ahead.
May all beings find
that welcoming door.
(A safe journey, a safe return.)


For Mary's prompt Wednesday at What's Going On? Safe. 

While I feel totally safe in my peaceful rooms, in my sweet village, the global picture, between wars and an accelerating climate crisis, with its wildfires, extreme weather, and flooding, keeps me all too aware that anything can change at any moment, wherever we are. In troubled times, we have to carry our sense of safety within, like a turtle inside its shell. Wishing you all safe travels.

12 comments:

  1. "
    Fellow traveler,
    across the charred landscape
    of our broken dreams,
    I bid you safe passage,
    (a safe journey, a safe return,)
    a door open wide
    on arrival to shelter you,
    cool water to drink,
    sustenance
    and rest." I took this to heart, wishing this for all on all types of journeys, inner and outer. This entire poem is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes all we can offer is a blessing to those seeking safety and a place they will be welcome, but that is at least something we all can give as we keep them in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the heart that is a blessing in itself and always keeps every fellow traveler in mind. The poem creates a very peaceful feelings within, Sherry. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessings to you and your Tofino, too!

    PK

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that is a beautiful sentiment...wishing fellow travellers safe passage as they negotiate the absolute disaster that we've created with war and climate... that is really the only thing we can do, be kind to each other as we walk through this...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really do feel safest at home, Sherry, but I agree that we have to carry our sense of safety within. I love that you are thinking of the safety of others in your poem, and especially love the phrase ‘charred landscape of our broken dreams’.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Safty is hard to come by., but sometimes all we can give is a blessing. annell

    ReplyDelete
  8. All we can do is pray for the safety of all and an end to the madness.....Rall

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really, that's the essence of what we need Sherry: to be free from fear. Safe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I often have gratitude that I don't live in a war or disaster zone, or some country in violent disarray. Like yours, my daily environment is peaceful and comfy; sometimes I muse that if society crumbled, I wouldn't survive. But for now, it's me and Zacky in our little world, living our best lives.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sherry,
    It's a scary and turbulent world at this time.
    I had hoped that the new year might have offered more reasons to be happy, but sadly that doesn't seem possible at the moment.
    Wars and rumours of wars, dominates everything else.
    Climate change is bringing untold discomfort and damage.
    I try to look to nature for some hope...daffodils are at least something....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.