Monday, February 19, 2024

An Adamantine Heart

 


Skye, my sister's horse

Are those ghosts or angels
shimmering in the foggy meadow?
A dappled horse watches
benignly from the barn.
To her, either are welcomed in
as friends.
Humans wreak havoc,
yet nature remains kind,
showering us with beauty
to the end,
paying our wanton heedlessness
no mind,
as if, to our lower natures,
she stays blind.

I went searching for love,
first with candle, then with lighted lamps,
a disorder I finally healed
with blessed solitude,
years of peace
where none dared
to intrude.

Remembering the joy
of hearts flying the stars,
then the wounded wings
and sudden plunge from sky to earth,
the longest fall of all,
I set down roots
from others far apart,
and grew apace an adamantine heart,
that has a secret hidden door within 
so only animals and happy fools
can enter in.


for Shay's Word List - I used eleven of the words, including the bonus word.

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful writing... especially "I went searching for love, / first with candle, then with lighted lamps," and "sudden plunge from sky to earth, / the longest fall of all,".... I love that hidden door... yes I think we all have one for the happy fools :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and me both, Sherry. You and me both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more. I feel what you say about "animals and happy fools". I too sometimes want to shrink further and further from the human way of things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherry, you touch my heart in the sweetest and cruelest way, that is, delighting in the serenity and love you've found, weeping for the love that has betrayed. Beautiful poetry, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love - The secret hidden door within - Captures The universe as vast but personal. Lovely poem

    ReplyDelete
  6. “Are those ghosts or angels
    shimmering in the foggy meadow?” - Exactly! I love the adamantine heart with a secret door.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the opening question and the feelings shared in the lines Sherry! Beautiful! I love how you used the bonus word on your title too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.